New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I knew how to ask this as a poll I would but I don't so I will just ask; when outfitting a scope to your custom rifle do you always use function as your ruler or do you consider how the scope will look on your rifle? Thank you. Gary

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, Gary, as with Modernist architecture, perhaps it is best to let form follow function. For extreme long range or low-light work you might need something long with a large front bell, otherwise keep it smallish with not too much hanging out the front.

Not only does a big scope make a rifle look top-heavy but is more vulnerable to bumps and needs a higher-combed stock to get your eye in alignment. Despite marketing trends, big, high-powered scopes are not needed for hunting big game at sporting distances.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite marketing trends, big, high-powered scopes are not needed for hunting big game at sporting distances.

Couldn't agree more.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is best to let form follow function

Well said, Sambarman.

For a conventional game hunting rifle, a high-mounted, large objective, high-magnification scope is simply out of place -- both in form and in function. The magnification is not needed (and can be a hindrance) and its bulk and weight detract from the portability and handling qualities of the rifle. That's why a low-mounted and fairly compact scope looks better on such a rifle.

On the other hand, on a heavy-barreled varmint/target rifle you both need and expect a larger, higher-magnification scope, perhaps with parallax adjustment or other bells and whistles. That's why such a scope looks just fine on a heavy rifle (and a 4x Alaskan with its svelt 7/8" tube would look silly on such a rifle.)

So, yes, it is both function and appearance, but appropriate appearance is closely related to function.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek. BTW I don't think I've sent you a book yet. PM me your address and I'll pop the latest, custom-enhanced version in the mail.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote