New
Find
Notify
Tools

swarovski scope failures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm about to mount a Swarovski Z6 on a light 416 taylor rifle. Some have said it won't hold up to the recoil as well as a leupold. Anyone have real world experience on this subject? I've used both on light weight hi powered rifles and have never had a scope fail.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have swarovski`s on 2 of my rifles but i did have a problem with a swarovski once.
i have a 300 ultra mag remi sendero and i put a 6x24x50 on top and it broke the scope twice with the same fault , it would be on target then all of a sudden it was 17 inch to the left and would not adjust over so be ware.

regards
chris

Posts: 122 | Location: uk | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some have said it won't hold up to the recoil as well as a leupold

Some would be dumb

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what does some would be dumb mean ??

Posts: 122 | Location: uk | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted swarovski 3x10x42 scopes on both of my 300 ultramags,and both have held zero and performed flawlessly.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only had one malfunction with a Swarovski.
It is a older Habiect (spelling ???) on a 300 win mag. Something went wrong with the parallex.
sent it back to Swarovski (I was not the original owner)and recieved it back in about 4 weeks good as new, and no charges. Good company and good optics !!!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I had a PH series 1.5-6x42 on a 458 lott. 3 weeks before I left for Zim it would get blurry after I fired one round. I would then adjust the variable and it would clear up. I mailed it back to swaro with a letter stating I was leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. They repaired and mailed it back within 1 1/2 weeks for free. No better service in my opinion.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5-6x42mm on my ltwt .375 and never had a problem. Probably the best scope I ever owned.

I also have a 3-10x42mm (1") on a ltwt .300 Mag and it is superb.

I've only ever had a problem with 2 scopes. The 1st was a Weaver of a ltwt .338 and the front lens flew off on the 1st shot.

The 2nd one was a Leupold 1.75x6 that went to Africa 0n a ltwt .350 RemMagand was a piece of crap --- only usable at 4x as it blurred at every other setting. Leupold "fixed: it twice and had the same problem each time -- basically gave it to a friend who sent it back to Leupold twice before before he gave up. Each time it went back Leupold said they couldn't find any problem with it.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Any company can and will turn out a lemon on occasion -- some moreso than others.

But, given proper mounting technique, your Swaro should do just fine.

Someone saying it won't hold up as well as a Leupold...well, that's pure horse hockey. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deer308:
i have swarovski`s on 2 of my rifles but i did have a problem with a swarovski once.
i have a 300 ultra mag remi sendero and i put a 6x24x50 on top and it broke the scope twice with the same fault , it would be on target then all of a sudden it was 17 inch to the left and would not adjust over so be ware.

regards
chris

If I had to vote for the best way to kill a scope, your way would get my vote every time...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMB, Please explain your comment. I do not understand.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was needling Deer on his scope failures because he has a very heavy scope mounted on a monster rifle, a 300 REM Ultra Mag. The "G" forces transmitted to a scope with heavy inertia are far more than the scope will withstand. And, he killed it twice to prove the point. Lighter weight scopes should not be a problem.

Don

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Some of the heaviest scope made are the most reliable and the most recoil resistent. A mack truck is lot more sturdy than a Corvette

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Some of the heaviest scope made are the most reliable and the most recoil resistent. A mack truck is lot more sturdy than a Corvette

You have a very good point. But, they were designed to be that way. I mentioned that the heavy Swaro had it's designed "G" loading exceeded. A Schmidt And Bender scope may withstand heavy "G" loadings, but that is because it was designed to do so. Not all scopes are designed the same. I think the validity of my statement has been established by Deer, who killed his heavy scope twice.
My point here is that when mounting a heavy scope on a big boomer, establishing whether or not the scope will survive is required. And the way to do that is by contacting the scope maker asking if it will live in that recoil environment. Making assumptions that it should work because another make heavy scope will survive doesn't get it.

Don