New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does 1/2 minute dot mean?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two Leupold scopes, a Vari X II 6x18 with an extremely tiny dot and a Vari X III 8x25 with a Premier Reticle and a much larger dot. I am looking at purchasing a Vari X III that has been boosted by Premier to 18x40 with a 1/2 minute dot reticle. Would that be comparable with the Premier reticle I already have? I don't like the tiny dot as it's hard to see and I use the scope to shoot silhouette.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect that "half minute dot" to mean the dot covers half a minute of angle, or 1.047/2 inches, at 100 yards, 1.047" at 200 yards, and so forth.

But let someone far wiser than I am chime in. They may give a completely different answer, and may very well say I am completely out in left field.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless is correct. A "half minute dot" subtends about a half an inch at 100 yards. This is relatively fine (a "target dot"), whereas the "hunting" dots are typically more on the order of a full minute and sometimes larger.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote