New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monarch 4x12 vs Elite 4200 4x16
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been reading through old posts trying to determine what scope to mount on my Sendero in 7mm stw. I think I've narrowed it down to the Monarch in 4x12 and the Elite 4200 in 4x16. I would like to hear from anyone who has experiece with either or both. I know a lot of people don't suggest an AO on a hunting rifle, but I like the higher power scopes and the AO don't bother me any, I usually just set it to 100 yds when hunting anyway. I've already got on of the elites on a 22/250 and really like it, but would like to hear from someone who has compared them side by side during low light or has put them through some punishment to see which one holds up the best on a strong recoiling rifle during hunting conditions.

Monarch - sounds like a really good scope, Nikons have a good rep on this board, smaller and lighter

Elite - rainguard sounds useful, the mini-style target knobs would be nice to have, 16 on the high end would be nice at the range.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I own both. Though on nothing larger than a .243 Win.

Very close optically, both seem excellent as far as W&E adjustments. Both have excellent light transmission. Really no difference. The Nikon is maybe just a touch better in color rendition. And seems a bit easier to look through though both are equal if you use resolution test targets like the USAF1951 in the center field of view.

In the past some Elite's would show a bit of fish-bowl effect. By this I mean it would be well focused in the center third and unfocused some around the edges. It seems much reduced in the more recent one's. And in the 50mm version seems not to be a problem.

Now the Nikon 4-12x Monarch is shorter in the area where you can put the rings. It isn't long enough to fit on some long-action rifles. It is just about a quarter inch shy on some. I think that will be the case on your Sendero though I am not certain. Definitely determine that. Or if you will get the measurements, I will give you how long my 4-12x Monarch is.

If my choice were between these two on a 7 stw, I think I would go with the Elite 4200. The reason being you have 4x on the bottom of both, so why not get the 16x on the other end. Both are too close in other ways for it to matter. If a 50mm isn't bothersome to you, I find the Elite 50mm to have that ease of view the Monarch has. While the 40mm Elite isn't quite equal to the Monarch on apparent clarity.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Grabbed them out the safe for quick measure.

Max outside to outside ring distance on the Monarch is roughly 5 1/4 inches. The same thing on the 4200 (in this case a 50mm model) is 6 inches. The 40mm Elite may have even a bit more than that. Don't currently have a 40mm one measure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 40mm elite has the same 6 inches and my sendero needs right at 5 outside to outside. The elite would give me more playing room. I've got no problems with the elite that I have, just thought I might try something different. Now if they would just put a side focus parallax adj on the both of them....

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I am with you on the side focus. I think many if not most scopes will have this over the next few years. Just have to be patient. Which of course I hate doing. Not to mention when it is offered it will lower the resell of any scopes I wish to replace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another wish list item would be target turrents for the 5x16? nikon monarch.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you have seen later 6x 42mm Monarchs. They have what I call short target turrets. Anyway, for anything short of a full target scope, they are my favorite.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the 4x16 Elite but, have used the Monarch.

The Monarch is a rugged and bright scope. The main things that have steered me away from the Elites has been the length, weight, and eye relief.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the length and weight of the elites. But in this project, it probably wouldn't matter on an already heavy sendero anyway.

According to the info I've read, the monarch has 3.6-3.4 in eye relief and the elite has 3.5. If those nbrs are correct, they are about the same in that dept.

I think the deciding factor will be a twilight test. If anyone has both scopes and could tell me how they both perform right before dark, that would be greatly appreciated.

<9.3x62>
posted
Nikon is very good at making optics glass... of any sort...

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
In a twilight test they are close. For instance the 4-16x 50mm Elite at 12x does beat the 4-12x 40mm Monarch just a bit. The 4-16x 40mm at 12x doesn't beat the Monarch. But again, these are real close. Just a couple or three minutes either way. The 40mm Monarch and Elite which is the most fair comparison has the Monarch winning very slightly at twilight. I would say the Nikon coatings slightly favor the colors at twilight versus other scopes.

In most ways, the Monarch is slightly better. But it is only slight. Not a big difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7MM STW. Had a 4 X 12 Leopold and switched to a 4.5 X 14 I really like the added power with the STW. I would pick the 4 X 16.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
JustinB,

Have you considered the 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch. It would most likely be better than either of the other two. I have one of the 5.5-16.5s on a 300 SAUM and it is a very bright and crisp scope. (I've stretched Wink shooting hours a time or two w/ that scope).

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was worried about the 5.5 being a little too much on the low end. I've only got one "deer" rifle and I use it for all my deer hunting, some of which could be open hardwoods. I'll keep it in mind, I sure wouldn't pass up a good deal on one.