Find
Notify
Tools

NVD
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
am looking for a night vision monocular and cannot make up my mind in beteween night owl
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-Explorer-Vision-Illumin...id=1179546423&sr=1-1

and Yukon

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0002...103-4607873-6254229)

I feel night owl to be somewhat a better choice, but which one would you chooose and why ?

Main use will be to watch wildlife in those dark nights without or wih very little moonlight Cool

If you can think of any other better alternative, please do tell me which might it be...

Thank you all in advance

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the first thing you need to know is what generation you are looking at. there are currently 3 1/2 available. gen 1 is the cheapest and least useful. gen 2 is about 3 steps up, and gen 3 about 100 steps up. 3 1/2 is out there but very very expensive (think thousands) so far as what you will see: Gen 1 about 50 yards is about all you will get on a dark night, and then you may need the infrared illuminator (some animals see this, eles for instance) on a nominal night you could see a housecat at 50 yards and tell it is a cat. Gen 2 you would be able to tell clearly that it is a cat. gen 3 you could tell that it was a striped cat, and gen 3 1/2 you could see if it was declawed. I find most people aren't satisfied until they get to gen 3. ITT is the best out there now and will set you back in the 1500-1900 range. gen 3 is solid state electronics and has virtually no lifespan, while 1 and 2 are tube type, have a lifespan and decrease in defination through the lifespan. i believe that the ones you are looking at are gen 1

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hi butchloc

I am looking for a 1 plus generation... mainly because I understand that gen 2 and 3 cannot be shipped outside USA...and for the intended use (night wildlife observation) its performance seems to be just what I expected... water proof ability is also desired

Actually I am looking for the best gen 1+ I might find ... Whether Yukon, Nght owl or D112 I haven´t decided yet, so any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind, is you will always see better with double glass vs. a monocular, of which you'll get tired of looking through rather fast! Gen 1+ isn't bad, depends on how much money you want to spend. I'd say if we wanted it bad enough and had the money, Gen 3 or 3+ is what we'd all be looking through, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stay with the US made stuff. the russian isn't nearly as good. from what i see russian gen 11 is about the same as us gen 1

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Do you have any experience with any of the mentioned three monoculars, butchloc?

In nightvisionforums I was suggested the D112, but sadly with no argueable reason to make me learn why it was chosen... so far all of them seem Confused to be quite the same stuff....

BTW, I live in Argentina where no personal check out can be made... the only NVD that has reached these shores is the bushnell line (that´s why I cannot compare these bushnell side by side to nothing else)

Μολὼν λάβε