Leupold vx-r patrol 3x9 30mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts on this scope

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...m?selectedSku=113771

Thinking of getting one.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, illumination poses a lot of issues for me, ranging from cost, need and reliability to ethics - but at least this one does not have the battery compartment on the ocular housing and is relatively affordable. The 2-7 is a less-vulnerable size and its field blending is not bad; but the batteries do go flat and they can catch out even the savvy technophile.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 20 pack of cr2032 batteries on amazon for under $10.

Have them in my hunting bag, gun case, gun room and truck.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

That's good - but try not to get too used to the light. If you do but it's not working when the big one appears, you may lose vital moments thinking about it.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

That's good - but try not to get too used to the light. If you do but it's not working when the big one appears, you may lose vital moments thinking about it.

That's interesting since I have found the battery in my VXR's last several years, in fact I've never had one fail. I tend to replace them every few years so finding one not working is something I have never run into.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2803 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
That's interesting since I have found the battery in my VXR's last several years, in fact I've never had one fail. I tend to replace them every few years so finding one not working is something I have never run into.

Good thought, Cougarz, but I see it in the form of a long analogy, which I deal with it at length in my book. I'd better save something for the readers - it will be out any day now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several VX-R scopes and I'm well satisfied with them. If the battery goes out it works just like a regular scope, but with the motion sensor/auto off feature the batteries last a very long time. As stated above, just replace the batteries every few years and you'll be fine.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The batteries do last a long time, and I've never had one "fail" me. As to batteries going out for multiple individuals on the same hunting trip, as was referenced in another thread, it would take a real dunce not to have a backup along for an expensive safari -- and for TWO individuals to arrive with dead batteries and NEITHER have a backup...geez, I have no words. Smiler

In fact, MANY of the illuminated scopes have a feature in which a spare can be stored in one of the turret caps. I am looking at my current card of batteries, and they are guaranteed through 2027.

As to the VX-R Patrol series, I can only say that I have had 3 of the VX-Rs (not the Patrol) and liked them a lot. The eye box on the 3-9x40 was a bit more finicky than on the 50mm models I had, but it was not enough to complain about, either. They offer lots of performance for the $$.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9375 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have two of the VX-R Patrols. Overall I'm satisfied.

Glass is decent, reticle works very well in low light. MOA works and the clicks are accurate.

My only issue: I really want to be able to lock the caps so they don't twist. There's nothing worse than walking out to the blind and accidentally banging the scope and twisting the turrets. Yes, they are easily adjusted...when it's light enough to see them. Heck, I'd be happy with some cheap screw adjustment. In the short term, I've wrapped some electrical tape around them and called it good enough.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
The batteries do last a long time, and I've never had one "fail" me. As to batteries going out for multiple individuals on the same hunting trip, as was referenced in another thread, it would take a real dunce not to have a backup along for an expensive safari -- and for TWO individuals to arrive with dead batteries and NEITHER have a backup...geez, I have no words. Smiler

I did have some words, Bobby, but tried not to use too many of them. I just put it down as part of my journey to cynicism. I also found a new illuminated scope in the local shop one day and wanted to try it - but the battery was flat already. I blame the Illuminati Wink

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 or 3 VX-R scopes. I like them so far. One doesn't have to use the firedot if they don't want to.
I tend to keep the illumination turned down very low so it will assist me in the dawn and twilight without blinding me. Then i full daylight I the crosshairs are fully visible.
And yes, I bought 50 CR2032 batteries off of Amazon and have been doling them out to friends like candy... dancing

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 scopes. Academy had them in clearance for $359. Leupold was selling them st sci for $599.

Now I need to get them on my ar rifles and take off at least vx6 to a hunting rifle.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You got a great deal on those, Mike!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9375 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
You got a great deal on those, Mike!

Thanks Bobby

I have bought 3 leicas, 3 leupolds vr, one leupold vx6, swar z3, zeiss and aimpoint in las few months.

Finally have all my rifles scoped out.

Best Purchases were a leupold vx3i 2.5-8 for $219 at academy and the leicas.

Thanks for all your advice.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That 2,5-8 vx-3i leupold is a good one! I have it on my .416 rem mag Cool

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3320 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote