New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold ring height for M98 safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know what Leupold QR ring height will fit a M98 safety with a VX III 1.5-5x20, 30mm tube?

Thanks!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the standard military safety I do not think there is a Leupold QR ring high enough. Most people go to the cheap See Thru Weaver style for that kind of height. Also the bolt handle has to be taken into consideration. What exactly do you have there?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of better scope clearing safeties out there. They are drop in replacements. I am trying to recall them all, I have a Parker Hale on one of mine, there is the Bueller (now made by Timney), Dayton... if I recall correctly.

Anything that will mount the scope high enough to clear the will make you crane your neck and lift your cheek off the butt so high, you probably will not shoot well anyway. Don't get me started on see-thru sights.

The aftermarket safeties will run you about $25 to $50, so they will not break the bank. Besides the vx3 is a nice piece of glass, and without the bell on the front of a 1.5x5, you can mount it as low as you need to get it right where your cheek sits comfortable on the stock with a good cheekweld.

Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts!

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts!

Amen! Few things offend my sensibilities like (cough) see through scope mounts (barf).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need you guys to talk to my fishing buddy. His only rifle has see through rings and he can't understand why I make fun of him every time I see the abomination.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your buddy should stick to fishing.

But I suppose he would laugh at my Zebco with a worm on the hook at the end of the string and a cork somewhere in between.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is really painful to watch him shoot. First he finds the target in the open sights and then moves his head to find it in the scope. Usually by then the target has departed. Thankfully he does mostly stick to fishing for which he is lavishly equipped.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a two position M70 type safety for a 98 Mauser from Jim Kobe here on AR.

Since then I bought the tooling to do it myself.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extra high based on a manual vertical safety.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote