New
Find
Notify
Tools

binos from $300-$400 - Alpen & Eagle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the market for some decent 10x42 binos that aren't going to be good expensive to use and abuse. Amongst the better known brands all that I can come up with are the Nikons, but I have seen that there are other names out there like Alpen and Eagle optics which seem to have a good name with the birdwathing comunity, who I believe are more "into" optics than the average hunter.

Both the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 10x42 and Alpen® Apex™ Binoculars seem to be pretty close to the Nikon 10x42 in it's specs, but cost a bit more. Alpen has a lifetime warranty, Eagle does not mention anything more than a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, which seems strange.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been hearing greaat reports on the Vortex Viper 10x42. They have a lifetime warrenty also. You might also check the Pentax 10x43SP model. Retails for over $600, but can probably be found in your price range. You might talk to Doug at Cameraland. I hear he is a straight shooter, and he will probably have some good information on these binoculars. JMHO.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Eagle Optics and Vortex/Stokes have the best warranty in the industry. The Eagle Optics Ranger SRT has the Eagle Optics Platinum Protection unlimited, unconditional transferable lifetime warranty which covers repair or replacement at no charge, no matter what caused the problem and no matter who requests service, forever.

So, not only is the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT optically and egronomically superior to both the Alpen Apex and the Nikon Monarch ATB, it also has the best warranty.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am looking for a medium framed pair of binocs (8x42) in a mid range price with high optic quality. The name brand is not as important as the product. There are a lot of "brands" on the market. Many are just importers/distributors that are hocking their wares and labeling their new brand name.

Obviously, the mainstays have some legacy and stability; Leupold, Burris, the Blount umbrella and Zeiss, Khales, Swarowski and the camera companies.

With that said, in this day and age where private equity firms buy and sell everything; warranties are secondary. There is no guarantee that when you wake up tomorrow, the product you puchased today from the small upcommer will honor their lifetime no-bull warranty offered.

I'm not trying to be pesimistic; just looking at the market in general.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
22 years and 1/4 of the online market is a "small upcommer"? Eagle Optics sold their own line of binoculars before Konica Minolta did and is now selling its four lines after that company stopped. And no, Konica Minolta didn't manufacture its binoculars, they were manufactured by other companies for them in Japan and China. So, much for the legacy and stability of camera companies.

quote:
Many are just importers/distributors that are hocking their wares and labeling their new brand name.
You mean like Leupold does?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish...
Absolutely like Leupold does, and it's disturbing!

You seemed to miss my point thinking that I was referring to Eagle Optics of Vortex. I was generalizing that anyone can buy, label and distribute a product; provide the best guarantee in the market sector, and go bankrupt or discontinue their product line at the drop of a hat. I'm anxious to review both Eagle and Vortex, but have not been able to find any retailers that sell the product. Please provide outlets where these products can be seen.

Regardless of when Konica, Minolta etc. entered the binocular market, and whom they contracted to manufacture the product; they have a long history and most likely a reliable guarantee (even though these secondary products may not meet the expectations of the customers who purchased the product because of the brand name perception).

Eagle Optics and Vortex have been distributing/selling optics since the mid 80's. Do they manufacture their product line? If not, who does? Does either firm have engineering staffs that specify their requirements, DVP&R and process sign-offs? How is Eagle Optics and Vortex actively involved in the production and quality control of the products they sell? Do they actually have service techicians that repair defective binoculars or do they just replace?

On another note, I have some friends in Weyerhaeuser, and traveled through Eau Claire last summer; it's a very nice town.

Regards

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the price range you would like to stay in there are excellent options available from Minox, Vortex and Pentax. Please feel free to PM, e-mail or call me to pick my brain and discuss optics

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote