New
Find
Notify
Tools

varix 11 and 375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How has the vx2 stood up to those that use it on a 375 or bigger? I am thinking of getting the VXR riflescope and not a lot of info is out on how it is but people are saying it equals the vari x 2

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
I have a Vari-X IIc 2x7 on my 375HH and it has been there for years and hundreds of rounds. I very happy with it. Sorry...can't help with the VXR.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have an old VariX II 2x7 on a 375 H&H and it has held up well. Also have a newer VX II 2x7 on a .338 Win mag that is presently on its way back to Leupold due to tracking issues. Go figure - sometimes new is not better.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2317 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A VX I 2x7 has lasted hundreds of rounds on my M70 without any problems.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anecdotally, the older Vari-X II design (which carries over into the VX-I and VX-II) seems to be a bit more resitant to recoil damage than the newer III designs. This is probably only because lots of people tend to put the III's in 1.5-5 on huge boomers more often than the II's, so statistically you hear of more "recoil failures" with the III's since there are more of them in use on large bores.

In the end, I suspect that in many cases the "scope failures" are actually problems with the big guns (or with a shooter running from a gun that recoils more than he can take.)

In any case, I have II's on a .375, .375 IMP, and .416 Remington and all are doing better than I am.

The .375 probably has the heaviest recoil simply because it is the lightest gun. It has had a Vari-IIc 2-7 on it for fifteen years and has been hunted in both the U. S. and Canadian Rockies. Of course, years ago I built my own recoil-abosorbing bench rest, so I don't suffer as many "scope failures" as some of the he-men who take it all straight on the shoulder when trying to shoot paper from the bench. Big Grin

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote