Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield Warranty repairs?....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I have two old Redfields lying around in the reloading room that need to be repaired. Probably both 80s models.

One is a 6x18 that will not hold zero (Two shots here, two shots there; you know the drill). Still a nice scope and I hate to chunk it.

The other is one of the older friction adjustment Wide Field 3x9 scopes that had the rectangular lenses. It would not remotely hold zero. When I was much younger (and dumber Big Grin) warranty was the last thing on my mind so I removed the eye piece and cut the tiny crosshairs out so no one would mistakenly mount it on a rifle in the future and go through the same thing I did with it. Sort of just used it as a monocular around the house after that. I understand Redfield may void the warranty over me removing the hairs but, if they don’t, I'd be willing to pay to have the reticle replaced if they'd warranty the parts that failed internally.

Any of you have success having your old Redfield’s serviced?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield has been bought and sold a couple of times since the 1980s. There are a couple of companies that specialize in repairing the old Redfields. I can't place their addresses at the moment. One of them will not deal with anything overseas. The other will. But the best deal I got was a trade in offer from the current holding company (owns Redfield, Weaver, Simmons, etc.). Initial offer was on a Redfield which I accepted (but be aware that dealing with the company is very difficult - I suspect they route all their emails to Northern India or some place because whoever answers the emails, quotes directly from the company brochure and that is all you can get, the same advertising rubbish repeated, whatever you ask). It was a nice enough scope, 6-20x50, quite bright and made in Japan. But they still have the bound-to-fail TV screen ocular fitting. I got it for half price (that was the offer, anything in their range at half price). But even though it was a new scope it had grease spots and dirt inside it and it cost me a fair bit in postage to send it back for cleaning. Also, the Redfield factory clean up job left marks around the objective lens housing - a very rough job. Better was another offer on another of my failed Redfields (I was very keen on Redfields at one time). This one had a rotated crosshair from new - so I had never used the scope (no wonder Redfield went bust with such abysmal quality control.) Having been burnt on the new Redfield, I asked for a deal on a Weaver GS. They said yes. Again, it was nearly impossible to get any sort of information from the company other than the bumph on the website and in their advertising pamphlet. But I can say that the Weaver GS is everything people say about them. Lovely scope, way ahead of the El Paso Weavers in optics (yep, I was keen on those too) and blest with repeatable 'clicks'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you can always ask, but officially there is ZERO warranty on anything but the brand new Redfield scopes by Mead Scientific.

You can go to these people, scope repairs but beaware that it costs $38 plus shipping/insurance for them to look at your scope. They will do normal repairs for that amount, but they will request more money for various other jobs. Bottom line, I'd consider, just barely consider, sending the 6x18 in, and probably chunk the other one, but its your money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try here: http://www.ironsightinc.com/ My last one that I sent in had a busted ocular lense. They repaired it, and sent it back, for their standard repair fee of 55 bucks.........Took quite awhile though, but the scope is as good as new...... Grant

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote