THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    HELP--Scope recommendation for a CZ550 - 6.5X55

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP--Scope recommendation for a CZ550 - 6.5X55
 Login/Join

posted
New rifle needs a scope. I use it for hunting in the woods in Arkansas-close shots- but would like to try target shooting at 500-800 maybe 1000 yards. Nothing serious, just long range informal practice.

I have looked for 20-30 MOA bases for this receiver (has integral bases) and Burris insert rings, I haven't been able to find either.

So all adjustment has to done with the scope to dial it in for long range.

Possible scopes: Leu VXIII 4.5-14X40LR($500) has 100 MOA adjustment. Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40($150) has 80 MOA. Nikon Monarch 3-9X40($180) has 55 MOA but ~better glass. Mueller TAC2 3-10X42($270) has 95 MOA.

A friend suggested the Monarch and a Bushnell 10X40 and forget a 1 scope solution.

Recommendations/Suggestions??

Posts: 16 | Location: AR | Registered: 06 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I finally found a 19mm dovetail to Weaver adapter on the CZ-USA website. So now I can use Burris Signature Zee rings and use most any scope with the PosiAlign inserts to get more useable vertical adjustment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Burris inserts can be used to allow you to zero your rifle at ranges over 500 yds. Place the + .010 ( I believe this is the highest one) on the bottom of the rear ring and the standard ( no correction ) on the front. Depending on caliber this will allow a zero at 600 yds or beyond. The leupold 30mm. scopes have much more adjustment than the 1" tubes. Offhand i don't remember how much but it should allow a zero of 800 to 1000 yds. when coupled with the burris ring inserts.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this rifle shoot? Any preference for certain bullet weights?
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only shot Hornady 140 gr Spire Points so far. It shoots them into less than !" at 100 yards. I think it will do better. I have shot some groups at 200 yards that vertically were 1/2" but strung out horizontally ~2" and I think my benchrest technique is faulty.

I have some other bullets to try but haven't had the time yet.

I have been using the well known 46.3 gr of RL22 with 140 gr combination and it appears to be a good combination.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Given your criteria I would go with the Nikon Monarch 3-9X40($180). If your hunting shots were in more open terrain I would suggest the 4.5-14, but you'll be a little handicapped for close range hunting. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, I went with the 3-9X40 Monarch and my first impression is that it is a very nice scope. I like the low knobs that can be re-zeroed. It will give me a chance to try dialing up for longer distances.

Afghanistan, wow. Thanks for the reply. If you are serving our country over there...THANK YOU!! Merry Christmas!! too.

posted Hide Post
Ken Farrell makes a 20 MOA rail for the 550.
Price is around $120. It would be a lot better than bending your scope with inserts.

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
mwd, I think you will pleased with your selection. My buddy has one on his 223 coyote rifle and loves it. He normally uses Leupold 3.5-10x40 and he likes as well, if not better. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote