New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flip-up scope cap recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Leupold VX-II and VX-3 and am in the market for at least one set of caps. I know the Leupold Aluminas are good quality - but pricey. Does anyone know of others out there that are a good value, priced right and will not break down? Only other one I know of is Butler Creek, and we all know how unreliable they are...

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is it you seek to accomplish with scope lens caps? I have one Leupold which is 53 years old, has been on the same rifle for thousands of rounds and hunted everywhere from Wyoming to Mexico. It has never had any kind of lens cap and its lenses show no damage from external elements.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a fairly wet bear hunt last week, and I found that no matter how much I tried keeping water off the scope lenses, they still got wet/fogged. Between that and the overall foggy conditions, it could have cost me a bear. Luckily I only saw small bears that I let walk, but figured for the future I'd better invest in some cap covers to prevent issues.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Aluminas on every Leupold I own. Pricey? a little, but well worth it to me!!

A friend of mine put a set on his Leupold after missing an opportunity at a bull elk in Colorado due to the lenses being covered with water.

Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on Opticsplanet.com, sometimes they will have 10-15% off of your order.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
What is it you seek to accomplish with scope lens caps? I have one Leupold which is 53 years old, has been on the same rifle for thousands of rounds and hunted everywhere from Wyoming to Mexico. It has never had any kind of lens cap and its lenses show no damage from external elements.

Is the reticle constantly centred? Maybe you were lucky enough to fluke the last of their reticle-movement scopes.

I agree that we over-obsess about scope caps. The flip-up ones generally add more tunnel vision, usually with a great blind spot just above.

I use Uncle Mike's elastic flip off covers that can be dislodged quicker than hinged ones but even these have cost me shots at deer departing in thick bush.

My latest answer is a Safari Sling and a coat that drapes over the scope. A coat with a flap on the right would be even better - must get to it.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You can find new/old stock Butler Creeks on eBay. That's what I do as -- like you noted -- the new ones are horrible and only tend to last a few months...if that.

As to protecting vs. not protecting the lenses, that is a highly-personal thing. I spent nearly 3 decades carrying cameras on a daily basis and can assure you that even simple but continued exposure to the elements will degrade coatings over time. Losing a bit of transmission, resolution and overall image quality may not be that important to many shooters but is just the opposite to others. I choose to protect and pamper my scopes,just as I once did with my Nikon lenses. But, then again, I am extremely picky in that regard.

Another thing: If the scope may be sold at some point, lenses that are pristine sell faster than those with scratches. I've gone through a number of nicer scopes over the years, and by using Warne rings and diligently protecting the lenses, those used items can be sold in near-new condition for virtually no or minimal monetary loss -- especially when the glass is absolutely immaculate and untouched by either human hands or any cleaning products (and you can ALWAYS tell if the glass has been cleaned).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDNN has Butler Creek flip-up's for $1.99 each (objective and eye piece). At that price, you can buy back up caps. I have sets on two hunting rifles that are a couple of years old now and are still working perfectly. I just ordered a new pair for another rifle.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I use butler creek mostly but do have leupold aluminas on a couple scopes. I appreciate the protection they provide to the lenses and how they keep the majority of the dust, dirt, water, etc. off of the lenses. The leupold aluminas look nicer but I can't tell one is any better that the other. I have not found the butler creek caps to be unreliable and I used them in harsh conditions during my past career. If I had any critique of them it would be their less than accurate sizing chart.

Safe shooting...……….LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Leupold Alumina's. Yes they are realitively expensive but they also last. I've had several on different scopes for about as long as Luepold has offered them. But if cost is truly a factor than Butler Creek caps work ok too.

Regarding the use of flip up caps yes it's a personal thing and one that I think makes a big difference at times. In wet snow watching someone fiddle around trying to clear their scope is fun to watch. Using caps and with a little practice takes no more than a second to flip up and be ready to go.

I just got back from my every other year black bear hunt in northern Alberta where it was really hot & dry this year. This meant lots of dust on everything besides the atv slog through intermittent muskeg bogs. Everything gets well coated with dust and mud. After trying to keep my glasses, binoculars and cameras clean the thought of what my scope lense would have looked like made me glad I always use flip up caps.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Andy W
posted Hide Post
Try Aadland Engineering They make flip up lens covers for specific models of scopes. I have a pair on my Kahles and have just ordered a second set.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only ones I use are a slice of intertubin that bell out on each end, cheap and come off quick and easy and if you loose one who cares..The are 100 % dust and moisture proff, you can even cut a flip off flap on them..

Been using them for 60 or 70 years I carry two of them in my jacket pocket and only use them when its raining or snowing as a rule

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
When deer take off, I've found any extra function required to get a shot away is detrimental. Therefore, I think there is something to be said for see-though scope covers, despite their effect on clarity.

I often use bits of cling wrap over the objective to keep dust off the lenses of rifles standing in the cabinet and it has occurred to me that maybe a big piece stretched over both ends might work as a makeshift wet-weather cover for scope and lenses. It would take longer to remove than flip-up covers, but you might just be able to see a close-up critter through it and it would add minimal tunnel vision.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote