New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bausch & Lomb rifle scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know age and value of a older Bausch & Lomb rifle scope 2 x 8 x about 36 ?
I bought a Remington 660 and this was on it and I have no idea of value ,can't find any info on it .

Scope looks to be high quality and lenses are very clear .Not a mark on the scope ,looks very much like a Leupold 1.75 x 6 x 36 .

I can email pictures if that would help .

Thanks,

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time, B&L scopes were top of the line scopes, excellent glass/coatings.
But, as with all optics items, glass and coatings have improved to the point where those fine old scopes are not up to par with newer offerings. Both Binox and scopes are what I'm referring to.
That would make a good scope for a period rifle, along with the older weaver's and Lymans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one from a pawn shop - paid them $80 to pull it off a Rem 700.
It's a very good glass and a perfect fit atop a Sako 461 - the factory rings won't let me mount a 40mm scope.
In low light conditions the modern quality scopes are undoubtedly far better, but those old B&L scopes were very good back in the day and still very servicable bargains today.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my wife a Tikka T3 it was wearing a B&L Scope Chief Scope 3X9X40(or so). It looked pretty good, told her I'd upgrade if the rifle shot well. She likes it like it is and I haven't had to get a new scope for it.
Looks like a "modern" scope on the outside, glass not all that clear compared to a Nikon Monarch but she's happy with it. Think I'll still upgrade if she decides to take this .30 '06 to Africa though.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mainer1234: Is your old B&L scope the earlier model with external adjustments, or does it have adjustment turrets?

I like the externally adjustable models though the bases don't really add much to appearance, and sighting in can be a bit of a pain.

However the scopes are nicely made, the tapered crosshair reticle is etched on glass and with no internal adjustments there isn't much to go wrong. In their day they were considered one of the very top scopes.

These were made in Rochester. B&L made a determined effort to persuade hunters of the merits of external adjustments but without much success. B&L eventually began offering their "Trophy" line with internal adjustments. These were made in Japan and like the originals were well made.

I have three of the 2 1/2 - 8 externally adjustable scopes bought used in the last year or so. I paid from $75 - $100 depending on condition. The cheapest had quite a bit of blue wear (scabbard maybe?), the one for $100 looked close to new.

As has been mentioned you can buy current scopes for not much more with better optics and probably better moisture seals. I think the older ones look pretty neat on a pre-'64 Winchester 70, Winchester 88, Remington 721 or other late '50s to early '60s rifle.

Finding bases can be a challenge, there are plenty around but if you want bases for a specific rifle it may take a bit of searching.

Dave Anderson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my first custom rifle, a 7mm Ackley Mag, built in 1957, I bought a BalVar 8 that used the external adjustments in the mounts for zeroing the rifle.
That, back then, was THE best scope for hunting, in my view anyway. I used the Kuharsky mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sure wish some maker out there would bring out a scope series with the old B&L tapered crosshairs

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i sure wish some maker out there would bring out a scope series with the old B&L tapered crosshairs

+1
When I got the BalVar 8, I thought the tapered crosshairs were the best thing since sliced bread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Leupold Vari-XII, 2-7, with tapered crosshairs very similar to the old Balvars.

I gave the scope to a young friend as a high school graduation present. I gave his older brother a beater pre 64 Win 70 in 30-06 for his graduation two years earlier. They put the scope on the 70 and share the rig now.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

Butch,
Leupold has a reticle called CPC that is tapered. Check it out.
Leupold has 12 reticles available including CPC.
They charge $29.99 to change your reticle, through the Custom shop, not bad, eh?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote