Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-6 Close out sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leupold sale

Seems like some really good prices...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Leupold sale

Seems like some really good prices...

Good stuff.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe they know something we don't Wink

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Maybe they know something we don't Wink

Been replaced by

https://www.leupold.com/huntin.../vx-6hd-riflescopes/

I may buy some vx6 as they are phased out.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't even belong in the same room as opto-mechanical engineers that design scopes but the current rush from 3x mag ranges to 6x and above seems damn silly to me. Again, not being an engineer, I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly sure there are some optical trade offs that have to be made to increase the magnification ranges.

All that said, as a hunter at anything like normal ranges, say less than 600 yards, the old 3x range of 3 to 9 should be more than adequate. I could go on, if the scope is for close range work, then you don't even need that.

All that said, my only question about the Leupold V-6 scopes is.....How much better, if any, is the light transmission/optical quality of the glass compared to say VX-3i or whatever they call it these days. Finally, if it is better, is the percentage improvement enough to be worth twice the money in the field.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting various rifles with Vx3's and VX6's for several years now. I have not seen the VX3i, but many say they can't see much difference in glass. I do know that while the difference in optics is very noticeable between the two, they will both get you well past legal shooting light. Where the VX6 really, really excels is in the easy of use, or eyebox area. It is the most user friendly variable I've ever gotten behind, and that includes many high end Euro models brought into camps by our hunters over the past 15 years. It also has the best duplex reticle of any scope I've ever seen. I feel they are a steal at $700'ish personally.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a vx6 in the box that I bought on AR from Butch.

I have hunted with VX3 - they are good scopes.

I think Nikon pro staffs are good scopes.

I have a Swarovski z6i - it is unbelievably impressive.

Does it matter at range shooting - no, does it matter for most hunting no.

But the Swarovski was the only factor in me killing a wild lion in burkina.

If I am hunting plains game/deer vx6 or vx3 or trijicon or even Nikon works.

If I am hunting cats or sheep or anything high dollar were one shot matters I would get a Swarovski. I most likely never will - just not interested in it.

So I buy top line scopes that are being discontinued like vx6 or zeiss duralyt. $500-800 range that used to sell for over $1k.

For all my rifles - scopes/optics really make then perform give my marksmanship skills. Shoot 100-250 yards max.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
my marksmanship skills

?????????????????????????? :-)

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote