New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex 3-9
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend brought me a Vortex 3-9 50mm scope to mount on a 243 he had won. I know nothing of Vortex models but don't think it was anything special, just a good scope.

The reticle would not move during boresighting unless I tapped (hard I might add) on the scope. I would move a few clicks look through the scope at the collimator screen and tap on it until it moved and then stopped moving, then repeat until it boresighted. Are they all that way, some that way, or what are others experience with the Vortex scopes?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong with scope. Scope is fully warrant-able.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Like half the other makers, Vortex claims to have finally fixed the fragility of 'constantly centred' scopes. Their take was that steel turret screws create wear on brass erector tubes, so they patented hardened-steel pads for the screws, to bear against a hardened-steel ring around the tube.

And yet problems continue. When will some scope manufacturer admit that the whole concept of image-movement is a bunch of BS?

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What's the alternate method and does anyone use it beside Hi-Lux :-)

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Like half the other makers, Vortex claims to have finally fixed the fragility of 'constantly centred' scopes. Their take was that steel turret screws create wear on brass erector tubes, so they patented hardened-steel pads for the screws, to bear against a hardened-steel ring around the tube.

And yet problems continue. When will some scope manufacturer admit that the whole concept of image-movement is a bunch of BS?

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well Rich, the first alternative is reticle-movement, as used by Weaver and Redfield until 1957, Leupold until 1964, the Germans and Austrians until about 30 years ago and, maybe, Unertl more recently than that.

The second alternative is fixed reticles, as used by Leupold, Lyman, Unertl et al during the '50s and early '60s and Bausch & Lomb until about 1975.

The only company I have heard of using reticle-movement recently is Valdada in Romania, who used it for tactical scopes and admitted in their FAQ that it is much more reliable than image-movement.

However, my book on the subject should be out soon after Christmas, so things may change Smiler

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote