THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Help me pick a high end scope for a custom 416

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a high end scope for a custom 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
So I am having a 416 Rigby built and have come to the point where I need to choose a scope. I looked through the three scopes listed below at SCI and was impressed by the brightness and clarity of all three, but not too hard for a scope to be bright in a well lit room. Will reserve saying which looked best until I get some feedback.

I think I have it narrowed down to;

S&B 1.5-6x42 Zenith w/ FlashDot- Just heard that S&B uses Japanese glass in their scopes which is kind of a turn off. Can anyone confirm that this is true of the Zenith series? Still, it is one of the front runners in my mind

Swaro Z6i either 1-6x24 or 1.7-10x42- I love Swarovski products but read somewhere on AR that they are in the process of tweaking the Z6 line and would hate to buy a scope only to have improvements made a few months later. Also the fact that this is a new line (ie: unproven) makes me a bit nervous for a DGR.

Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.5-6x42- Have not heard a great deal about this scope other then what a Zeiss rep told me(better then Swarovski is what he said roughly). Still Zeiss has an excellent reputation and don't want to count this scope out yet.

Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with one, two or three of the above?

Another scope that looks interesting is the Nickel 1.5-6x42 and 1.5-6x30 (4.9" eye relief) but since I don't know anyone who owns one and have never looked through one myself, I will likely stick to the more conservative choices above. If anyone has experience with this scope or manufacturer, please speak up.

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/15642.aspx

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/15630.aspx

Thanks.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Swarovski PH 1.25-4x24 soope, with the rail mount.

I can't see you really needing over 4X power on your scope for the 416 Rigby, unless you're doing some unusual hunting (like using the 416 for sheep hunting for example).

I really like that rail mount, as you can make easy, minute adjustments to the scope until you get it just the right distance from your eye.

I looked at the Nickel scopes too, but have never gotten to handle one in person.
Their rail system looks good too.

It doesn't sound like cost is an issue for you, but all of the scopes you mentioned are top notch, so I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.

Good luck,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Nightforce scopes?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Get the S&B and don't look back....... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't sound like cost is an issue for you

Given the scopes you're looking at, that's a safe assumption. But if you want to cut the scope cost almost in half and still have an excellent piece of glass look at the Kahles 1.5-6x42.

I'm never an early adopter for mission critical things, so you might be wise to avoid the Swaro for a while.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going through the same process for my 458Lott. I'm staying as close to 1X as possible and have shortened the list to Kahles (price) and S-B.

Let us know which you choose.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
You are right that I probably dont need anything over 4x and if I found a scope I liked with a max of 4x magnification I would get it. Only thing is I want an objective roughly 40mm for better low light visibility and it seems like all of the 1-4 or 1-6 scopes are 24mm (give or take). Also, having the extra magnification can't hurt. I like the rail system and will get a scope with it as long as it is compatible with claw mounts (don't see why it wouldn't be).

Have not considered Nightforce for the above reasons.

The S&B is actually the front runner at the moment but would like to, if at all possible, be able to test it and the others in low light.

The Kahles scopes are very good but I feel that they are not quite as good as the others listed and since this project is top of the line in every way, I don't want to sacrifice anything on the scope.

Can anyone confirm that the glass in the S&B is from Japan? Any idea which company makes it for them?

Thanks for the help...

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
S&B "MAG EYE RELIEF" 1-4X or 1.5-6x thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three of the Nikon Monarch Gold in 1.5-6x42mm and I love them. 4" of eye relief at all powers fast focus eye piece with 64.7ft@100yds at 1.5 power. I also have a Leupold LPS 1.5-6x42mm but they do not make this model any more.

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't beleive that S&B uses Japanese glass. I can't remember for sure if he posts here or on 24Campfire.com but "Matt from Virginia" is an S&B rep and has visited the glass supplier for S&B. You might PM him on either or both forums to get the info your looking for.
I like the Swaro's very well and they have superb fast service - which is something to consider on a scope on a heavier caliber rifle. I would go with the PH series instead of the Z-6's though for 2 reasons, 1 the PH's are very well proven reliable scopes vs the new Z-6's and 2 I'm probably not going to buy a Z-6 untill they increase the Warrantee to a lifetime one like on the PH's.
I have a Kahles on one of my 458 Lotts, it's still working after a couple hundred rounds which is something to say.
The S&B Flash Dot reticles are superb. I have one in a 3-12x50 and love it.
The S&B's are heavier than the Swaro's which makes for more ring stress but shouldn't really be a problem on a properly mounted 416 Rigby.
If you lean to the S&B go ahead and buy it, they are great scopes. If you are looking to compare look at the Zeiss, Swaro and Kahles and just pick the one that seems best to your eyes, they are all very good.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to at least look at a Leupold VXiii in 1.5-5x. They don't break and have good glass. Not tempramental or experimental. Ask folks what the PH on their last trip used for a scope.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
You need to at least look at a Leupold VXiii in 1.5-5x. They don't break and have good glass. Not tempramental or experimental. Ask folks what the PH on their last trip used for a scope.

Several of my PH's recommend Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender and Swarovski over Leupold in particularly when hunting low light animals such as leopard, Lion, Hyena, Red Deer and Wild Boar.
Although I do not recommend Swarovski.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Swarovski, no question!!!
I have just ordered my 3rd of them and like their work, especialy in low light conditions, they are superb!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I think that Zeiss has the best glass, Swaro. has the best rail system if your wanting a rail and the Nickel scopes are great just a pain in the butt to get to the states.

The Shipping is about $75 bucks and even skipping on the VAT tax the Mag still costs in excess of $1200 you can by a Zeiss for that and have the same or better glass performance.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've looked through the Swaro Z6 1-6 power and I think it is the best choice for a .416. The one power setting is true both eyes open one power and the field of view is the best of any scope made. There are already two models (4 if you count the illuminated reticle option) with one having greater eye relief than the other. I believe it has an EE suffix in the model number. I don't think the extended eye relief model is necessary and it reduces the field of view. But this depends a little on how you manage the recoil of your rifle, length of pull, are you a stock creeper, etc. Because it is a straight tube the options for claw mounting are better than with a scope with a large objective lens. I just don't see any other scope having all this.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine broke

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ask folks what the PH on their last trip used for a scope.

Many South African PH's use Lynx scopes because that is what they can find easily and because they aren't too expensive for them. A better yardstick might be to ask your PH what he wishes he could have. I don't think too many have looked through a Swaro Z6 scope at this point. In fact, not too many AR members have looked through one either, they're just too new to be widely known.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Zeiss Victory Varipoint (1.5-6x42) and the Swarovski Z6i (1-6x) and for me the Swarovski is the best one. The circle dot reticle is much quicker to acquire than the Zeiss dot and the glass quality just seems better.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with Leupold on 338 lapua or 458 Lott. Shoot a Mark IV M3 on 308. Never seen anyone break a Leupold. Shoot a Swaro on a .223 and like it allright. Also shoot alot of groundhogs with a Doktor Optic 3x9 on a 22-250.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Thanks for your comments on the Z6. I'm thinking about putting one on the Chapuis 9.3 I have coming in later this month, and I have been wondering whether it was true 1X on the bottom end. It also sounds like I don't need the EE version.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Z6i is a true 1x at the bottom end (or at least the magnification is not noticable).

I have tried the EE version, but could not mount it far enough forward on my S2 to get a good view. It also has a narrower field of view.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
S&B if want the best or Leupold if you want the best buy. It is damn hard to beat a Leupold VX III!!! Maybe impossible!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37855 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote