looking at a
Swarovski AV 4-12x50mm vs
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-15x50

Rich

Posts: 6392 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way to miss, either way.

In that price range, might want to think about U.S. Optics. Fabulous.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For reasons to be explained below, I only have a few Swaro AV scopes. I did buy an AV 6-18x50 (I believe), and it probably has the edge on my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 in terms of resolution. I like the adjustments and the parallax adjustment on the Zeiss better, though.

The Conquests I have bought (and I have literally a TON of them) have been excellent both optically and mechanically. In addition, the prices for Conquests have just been so much better than what I have been able to find Swaro AVs for, that I have happily settled for the Zeiss scopes until now.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swaro AV 4-12x50 with the 4A reticle. Some of the best money I've spent on hunting gear ever. People ooh and ahh when they look through it. Those Zeiss are good too. I've not owned a 4.5-14x but a friend has two and they are also exceptional. Maybe a question of which is available with the reticle you want at the right price. IIRC the AV line has been discontinued.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest differences is the weight - Zeiss weighs about 5oz more (~1/3 more). Another difference is price - Swarovski Z3 is about $200 more. If you can find an AV, the prices will probably be similar, but as noted above the AV has been discontinued.

As for quality, both are similar. It may depend on the reticle you choose as the Z3 is available with the BRX while the Conquest is available with the Rapid-Z. Both are good reticles.

One thing is certain: you won't go wrong with either. Good Luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Chino Valley, AZ | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
picked the Zeiss up tonight. film at 11.

Rich

Posts: 6392 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote