New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold II or Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get a scope for a 30/06 Ruger that will be our spare gun when making trips. I want a decent scope but don't want to break the bank on a gun/scope that hopefully will be little used. It seems I can get any of the above in 3x9 for about the same money. Are there any strong feelings as to which make I should buy? Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold is the only way to go, IMO.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Well Leupold is not the only way to go, nor the best. Both the Monarch and 4200 are optically flat out better than the Leupold VXII. Both also seem equally tough and well made vs. the Big L.

The Leupold is a good scope, and supported like no other. The other two are better products, for less money supported quite well themselves.

Of the three you list, the Monarch is optically the best by a tiny margin over the 4200. Depending on the conditions you use it in however, the Rainguard on the 4200 may be the only significant difference. If all were the same price the Leupold would trail the other two by a bit.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I have tried Leupolds the Elite 4200's,but have no experience with Nikons.If I was choosing between the leupold mentioned in the first post and the Elite,it would be the Elite hands down......... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
There is more to making an optical firearm sighting device than just putting clear, crisp and bright lenses in it. Leupold has the best combination of characteristics necessary for such a device. I'm sick of looking through the Nikons and Bushnells and feeling like I'm looking down a tube taking too long to get a full sight picture. For a scope with adequate optics and unsurpassed performance getting on game and shooting it Leupold is the best choice. IMHO

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used all three.I think a Vari-X III is about comparable to a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200.I bought a Burris Fullfield II with the German #4 Plex and that also seems to be a decent scope and a hell of a Bang for the Buck!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Monarch is the best scope for the money. From the sites I've looked at, the Monarch was less expensive than the others mentioned.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd say any one of those would be just fine on the '06, but you may want to check out the Nikon Monarch scopes. They're discontinuing the current series to make way for the new ones coming in June, so there are good deals aplenty to be had on the remaining stock. I was checking them out at our local gunstore a couple weeks ago and they're pretty nice.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shopped the same scopes in varmint powers and wanted to like the 4200 best.
The Nikon Monarch was the easiest for eye relief and eyebox.
Bushnell was good but not great and I can't see why anyone would overspend for a Leupold.
Not even a contender.