New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3 scope mounts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Syn in 6.5X55 Swede. I put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 on it and the mounts that came with the rifle leave the scope obj. bell a 1/4" or a little more above the bbl. I prefer as low a mount as I can get to help with "cheek weld", scope height trajectory correction, etc.
I have scoured the internet, catalogs, and consulted some mystics and can not find any mounts the will lower the scope more than another 1/16". I would prefer ring mounts that fit the factory Tikka dovetail in the top of the receiver.
Open to suggestions, cussin's, and discussin's.
Thanks HL

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
I guess it goes without saying that the bell to barrel distance doesn't really matter. It's the boreline to crosshair distance that matters, at least for ballistics. Have you calculated the bore heighth of the factory rings to see what lowering the scope further will get you with a 6.5 Swede?

I have the same rifle (but in LH/.308)topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 riding in Talley medium fixed rings. When I set it up for my eye relief, the bell was almost touching the barrel so I moved it forward a little just to prevent contact if the scope got nudged and keep dirt/trash from getting wedged in a paper thin gap and causing a problem.
I don't know if a set of fixed Talley low's will close the gap more than 1/16 of an inch more, but:
1. If the cheek weld was right for you
and
2. You plan on hunting medium size game under 500 yards with a simple reticule
then
I doubt lowering it further will help you at all.
Contact Talley direct for more sccop: HERE
My rifle:Here

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a 36mm obj you aren't going to find anything for a T3 to get the scope right down near the bbl. I had a 40mm obj clamped to the receiver dovetail in medium Warne rings and there was at least 1/4" clearance under the bell and that's the lowest system available for that gun.
My T3 6.5 x 55 and 7mm-08 are fitted with DNZ (formerly Deadnutz) one piece setups. The screws they supply to attach atop the receiver are of very high quality and I'm confident you'd ruin the scope before you'd shear or bend one of those tough little buggers.

If you don't mind a black finish or the hassle of mounting vertical rings PM me and I'll send you my like new Warnes for $30 shipped, a savings of $20.
quote:
Originally posted by 4570Forever:
I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Syn in 6.5X55 Swede. I put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 on it and the mounts that came with the rifle leave the scope obj. bell a 1/4" or a little more above the bbl. I prefer as low a mount as I can get to help with "cheek weld", scope height trajectory correction, etc.
I have scoured the internet, catalogs, and consulted some mystics and can not find any mounts the will lower the scope more than another 1/16". I would prefer ring mounts that fit the factory Tikka dovetail in the top of the receiver.
Open to suggestions, cussin's, and discussin's.
Thanks HL

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs.
The cheek weld isn't what I really like BUT I guess I'll learn to live with it.
Re: the Warnes, that you but they only lower it about 1/16" or less. But thanks again for the offer.
HL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using the Optilock, a separate base and ring. Sako/Tikka do still make the ring mount, that's one piece and hold the scope a lot lower.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
For a 36mm obj you aren't going to find anything for a T3 to get the scope right down near the bbl. I had a 40mm obj clamped to the receiver dovetail in medium Warne rings and there was at least 1/4" clearance under the bell and that's the lowest system available for that gun.
My T3 6.5 x 55 and 7mm-08 are fitted with DNZ (formerly Deadnutz) one piece setups. The screws they supply to attach atop the receiver are of very high quality and I'm confident you'd ruin the scope before you'd shear or bend one of those tough little buggers.

If you don't mind a black finish or the hassle of mounting vertical rings PM me and I'll send you my like new Warnes for $30 shipped, a savings of $20.

Excellent knowledge and a great offer in a single post! Big Grin Dude, that'll teach me to swoop in with a half answer! Cool
Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just mtd. a Leupold FX3 6x42 on my Tikka T3 Super Varmint and used Warne bases and bell of scope does clear, barely, but it does clear. Measured the height/depth of ring bases and they are just barely over .5" As to whether the rings are medium or high, not sure, but would guess they are medium in height.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good info.
I have the "Ring Mounts", not "OptiLock" i.e. no bases in involved, rings clamp directly to the grooves in the top of the receiver.
The rings supplied with my rifle are "LOW" according to the Beretta people.
They measure .476" from the bottom of the ring dase to the bottom of the tube trough, which put the front bell approximately .250" above the bbl when set for my use.
From the information I've gathered it seems they are discontunuing the "ring mounts" in favor of the "OptiLock" base/ring system, which even in the low persuarion is higher than what I already have!
Thanks again for all the information, I'll just keep my eyes and ears open - maybe something will pop up.
HL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As per the Brownell catalogue, Weaver makes their traditional bases for the T3. If you will look their should be screw holes in the top of the receiver. I have not checked into it but you might be able to get those bases and use the traditional Weaver "low" mount detachable rings with it and get it lower.
The rings that came with my T3 (338 WM) were junk. After about 30 rounds of 338 recoil the front integral ring started to belly out where the recoil pin goes down into the top of the receiver. This allowed the scope to move foward several thousands of an inch. I replaced those POS rings with some Warne rings made for the T3. Now I can't get the scope far enough forward for adequate eye relief. Am looking at the Weavers myself.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind the look order a rail from EGW for $40 on ebay then go with Leupold PRW weaver style top-strap rings.
My 595 varminter is now set up with them and a 56mm scope and it's very solid.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote