New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kollmorgen Bear Cub
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know any thing about these scopes? I have seen a few of them for sale and was wondering if they were any good.

Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are the predecessors of redfield. Many will have 26mm tubes

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY good glass for the period (50's early 60s) HOWEVER some have EXTERNAL windage adjustment so be sure to look b4 you buy if this is not what you want... also at least early ones are quite heavy steel scopes. Sell generally for $75-$150 depending on power believe it or not... higher power = higher price.

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, picked one up in 6x with internal adjustment and 26mm tube. I like the El Paso 6x Weaver scopes, so will see how it compares.
Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nash22:
Thanks, picked one up in 6x with internal adjustment and 26mm tube. I like the El Paso 6x Weaver scopes, so will see how it compares.
Kelly

You will be pleased! I have one with a single post and one with crosshairs. Scopes made in Brooklyn, NY were the first ones, North Hampton, Mass were next. They were used as the sniper scope on the Garand and had a dull finish on them. Kollmorgen also made the periscopes for submarines and as I understand, also the Norden bombsights. This I don't know for sure though.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kollmorgen Bear Cub 3x, but the view through it is through a yellow fog. I understand that the cement used to anchor the lenses would sometimes deteriorate and leave this yellowish tinge on them. I don't use it any more, but despite its poor sight picture, I was able to shoot a group that was subtended by its dot reticle at 100 yards with the .300 Savage 99 it came on.

Like most older scopes, their mechanics tended to be better than their optics. It is just the opposite these days.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Redfield Bear Cub on an early '50s Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. It is a solid scope that has performed nicely for me. It is still clear and crisp for it's vintage.

I didn't know about Kollmorgen until now. Interesting read.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kollmorgen was an optics power house many years ago, and I've forgotten all the things they made. Didn't Kollmorgen make an optical coincidence range finder too?

Don