New
Find
Notify
Tools

DG rifle scope recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased my first large bore rifle with the hope of a DG hunt in my future. The rifle is a CZ 550 American Safari in 416 Rigby.

What scope do you use on your DG rifle?

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need something with a long tube for mounting on a rifle that big. I think the longer the better as you will have more adjustments for eye relief. Most people have low power scopes with straight objective tubes with no bell. Something in the 1 or 1/2 to 5 or so. However, the owner of this site as you may know has a Leupold 2.5x8x36 on his rifle but he shoots most everything with it. Natchez Shooters Supply has a big scope sale you may want to check. I just ordered me a scope last night for 1/3 the normal price

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z 6 i 1 - 6 x.

Should be long enough.

Of course, because it´s CZ, Meopta comes to mind.

Be careful to select a reticle that is easy to see even without illumination.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get an illuminated reticle.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick, which way do you move the safety when a buffalo is charging?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zeiss Duralyte on my .375 Ruger, illuminated reticle, 2-8 power. Great scope, just won't win any beauty prizes.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Swarovski claim their Z6 to be the toughest because they use four coil springs at the back of the erector tube instead of a flat one along the side.

The modern Nickel Magnum 1.5-6x30 is claimed to the best by its makers, though, and boasts a 4.9-inch eye relief, for use on hard kickers. I have never looked through it as they can only be bought by mail order - but the old ones were superb, as their "Supra" brand suggested.

Too much money? Well, a guy told me yesterday he had fired 600 shots through a 9.3x62 with a (Polish?) Delta scope and it hasn't moved a millimetre. It still cost over a grand.

Personally, if I could get one of those Zeiss Victory Diavari 1.5-6x42 scopes for $900 (even without illumination), I'd give that a go. You might want to mount it forward of optimum, though, to avoid Weatherby eyebrow. Scopes like that and the old Nickels (and some Leupolds) still give a good picture when doing that, though you do lose some field of view.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Z6 1-6 extended relief on my 416 Rigby. Pricey. I just ordered the above mentioned Zeiss 1.5-6 X42 from OpticsPlanet, on sale for $899. You may need an offset mount on an action that long for a scope with an objective bell. A lower priced alternative would be the Bushnell 1.25-8 Elite 6500. Lots of mounting room, and a tub of eye relief. I sold mine, as I just didn't think the image quality up to the better Euro scopes.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
High end, low range variables are my favorites.

1x or 1x-and-a-fraction at the low end. 4x or so, but no more than 6x, at the top end.

Or the Leupold 2.5x fixed power compact. Great scope for a truly big boomer.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13639 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX6 1x6 great scope,and half of what the Swarovski cost.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon 1.25x4x24. With the amber triangle reticle. Fully illuminated and super easy to see and pick up on a fast shot.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Leupold 2.5-8X on my 450 Dakota CZ that went to Africa. It's a near perfect option, unless you are in the Jess so thick you can't see ten feet. Then, you take the scope, any scope off and trust the iron sights.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Nikon Monarch 3, 1 x 4. They also have a 2 x 8.

Michael458 that we all know that posts on a regular basis on this site swears by the Nikons.

He shoots big bores and tests bullet performance continually and swears by their durability,

He claims he constantly has several Leupolds in for repair but has yet to send in one of the Monarch 3's.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 335 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I´ve never seen a Leupi with the same FOV as the best European scopes.

Maybe the VX 6, but from datasheet I seriously doubt it.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes Herman, some of the old Euro reticle-movement 4-powers had 35 feet FOV. The only way they approach that since caving in to image-movement is by adding 5mm to the ocular lens diameter.

The Leupolds do have a good long eye relief, though, compared with my old Kahles Helia Super, at least.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new VX 6 is a superb scope. I took some Swarovskis off my rifles and replaced them with VX6s.

When you need or use a scope, I prefer some magnification. A 416 shoots flat enough to use some magnification. Mine is a 416 Remington Mag.

The 2 x 12 VX 6 can do it all. It is exceptionally clear, it is tough, it has the illumination if you require or just want it, and on 2X would work in any close range that a scope will be used.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VX3 1.5x5 works fine on my 416 Rigby RSM.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon 1x4 with a 30MM tube.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
The Leupold VX3 1.5x5 works fine on my 416 Rigby RSM.

Second that. Have one on a 458 win mag, getting another for a 404 Jeffery. I also like the Zeiss Victory Diavari 1.5-6x42 if you can get one for a good deal. I have that on my Mauser M03 375 H&H. Also have a Burris 1.75-5x32 on a Ruger 375 H&H. I wish they still made that scope.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got to agree with the trijicon 1-4 power with the triangle. I've used leupold vx-III 1.5-5, leupold VX-II 2-7, Zeiss 3-9 on big bores and I always keep wanting the trijicon. It has pretty decent glass, but the no battery illuminated triangle is just plain awesome for natural aiming on game. eitherway you can't go wrong with a tough scope in the 1 to 7 power range for the 416 rigby. Hell, even the new redfield low power would work if your on a budget.
I will say that a 1 to 1.5 power on the low end leaves a huge field of vision and quick target acquisition. with an illuminated reticle at that low power you can keep both eyes open for better tracking

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I struggled with this decision on a 416 between the two Leu. VX6's that were available. I chose the 2X12X42. The reasoning was I would use the gun as a plains game gun as well as DG. Additional I do not care for seeing the front iron sight in my view in the scope (personal issue) and you will see it with 1.5X or less. It is mounted in Talley quick release mounts and as was noted previously it can be removed and you can use your irons. I enjoyed sighting in that rifle with the irons. I also bought the illuminated German #4 reticle. Shot that rifle hundreds of times prior to my recent hunt and no issue with the Leu VX6. Very nice scope! I generally kept it on 4X while hunting and ocassionally bumped it up to 6X. Very bright.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My requirements on a DG rifle are a 20 MM ocular lens, fixed or a low power varible such as the Leupold 3X, 1x4 or 1.5x5 in QD mounts and I prefer claw mounts or Talleys properly mounted. I did some testing long ago and found it is considerably harder to knock a 20 MM out of whack than a 40 or 50, and the shorter scope will take more of a beating. If you question this then do a simple test, whack the 50 mm as hard as you can then see where your POI goes, then do the same on the 20 mm..

Scopes too short? and the need for a longer scopes? not right, all you need is (one in some cases and two in other cases)extension bases and on the long action like the CZ that does not create a problem.

The toughest scope out there is the 2.5X compact made by Leupold, but the .416 and most 40 calibers are not hard on scopes so most will work.

I believe foriegn scopes to be too heavy, guarentees are questionable and problematic, most are sold because high dollar must make them better and it does not. Some have a beaded type surface coating that is slick and its hard to hold in the scope rings. I think they are way too costly to stick in my saddle scabbard, and they are mostly stylish in nature like womens shoes! I beieve many of them and some of our latest inovations in America are over engineered. sofa

I believe that such things as defination, clarity, detail etc. have little effect on a hunting scope as most have all you need and all the eye can handle..basically a scope needs one job and that is to see the animal well enough to pull the trigger, handle enclimate weather, have good eye releif, Most of todays scopes will do that, even the mid range scopes within reason. That other stuff is important on binoculars.

I have no use for gimmicks such as battery powered scopes, luminated this and that, red dots and such, prefer a std. Duplex to the more complicated busy reticles. Like to keep everything simple on a DG or any other product on my gun, with instant access to my iron sights, and positive return to zero. I'm not amoured with range finders as I find proper sighting in methods allows me to make a hit up to 300 yards by holding on hair and thats about as far as I want to shoot a big game animal.

I only speak for myself and if one wants a 20 inch 2x36 varible that cost $3000 on his $600 to $35,000 rifle then I'm all for him and will defend his right to do so...

I am biased, without a doubt, based on my own hunting of DG and non DG game and speak for no one else. I suspect I have offended some that have spent hard earned dollars on more expensive scopes, but I did so without intent of malice, and only present my side of the equasion.

BTW I am strictly a Leupold person. I buy mostly used ones as the guarentee is good on the scope not just for the purchaser. sofa

My all time personal favorite DG scope is still the now discontinued M-8 3X fixed Leupold up to the 40 calibers, calibers above 40 big bores I opt for the 2.5X compact. That makes me a curmudgeon, correct? old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote