New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great inexpensive 10 x 42 Redfield binoculars
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently I bought a Redfield Rebel 10X42 binocular. I got this at the Bass Pro Shop at the Arundel Mills Mall in Hanover, MD. I wanted to get the best 10 power binocular I could find for $200 or less. This shop had many such on display: Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, and others. I tried them all and settled on the Redfield.

I'm very happy with this binocular. It is optically very sharp and clear, well made, sturdy, and has all the features of the much more expensive ones.

I'm sure that if you are willing to spend the $1000+ for top of the line Leica or Zeiss binoculars, or $2000+ for the Swarovski ones, then those should be SLIGHTLY better than the Redfield one for $150. But this Redfield one is awfully good for about 15% (or less) of the cost of those others.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this model some old stock from several years ago, or is it a new one being currently marketed by Leupold?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Is this model some old stock from several years ago, or is it a new one being currently marketed by Leupold?

It's the new one being marketed by Leupold.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked through a pair last week and don't think it is anywhere near as clear or sharp as either the Monarch 10x42's or the even cheaper Minox BF 10x42 model I just got from Doug at CameralandNY.

I understand that eyes are different and many folks might prefer the Redfield, but it wasn't close for me, I wouldn't pick the Redfield over any of the competitors that I've looked at any time in the recent past. The Leupold Cascade and Olympic both look as good as their competitors but not the Redfield from what I observed. On the other hand you would probably not like my old Pentax DCF's - different perceptions.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In choosing any quality optic there are certain things to look for .

They should have ample range and magnification so you don't have trouble finding and tracking subject matter. Try to get a minimum of at least a 7×35. Of course, the higher the magnification, the better. And they will cost a more. They will give you a bigger view of the subject and in some cases field of view .

In choosing lenses, the larger the lens, the greater the illumination and clarity. This will make the image much clearer and sharper. Binoculars that use bigger lenses and have higher magnification are larger and heavier. But there are some that you can find in the market that are made of lighter materials, so this won't be a burden to carry.

Focusing is another thing you have to look into. You might want to test this out in a brighter area so you can check if it can give good clarity. If you try to do this in dark areas, you may not be able to determine the quality of the binoculars.

Also prism lens material quality is important, coating also plays a major role in low light ( Field too Fringe ) image quality is a dead give away on quality units . Crisp focus clarity in center as well as edge or as we refer too it as (Field too Fringe ) sharpness .

I own older Zeiss which are top notch but awkward as field glass goes , My Nikon is my preferred carry glass .

The new Nikon Monarch X series binoculars combine the latest optical technology with recent advancements in construction to create the next great binocular line. Featuring Nikon's advanced dielectric high-reflective multilayer prism coating, formerly available only on the exclusive EDG binocular, the Monarch X delivers a brighter, more crisp view during critical dusk and dawn periods.

These are Unbelievable but far beyond my pay grade .

Nikon EDG Binoculars - The Cutting Edge In Optics

The world's greatest adventurers have trusted Nikon's legendary ED glass in NIKKOR lenses to capture some of the most breathtaking imagery ever attempted. Nikon engineers have harnessed the superiority of this same highly acclaimed Nikon Extra-Low Dispersion glass to push the limits of optical perfection in this all new flagship binocular: The EDG.

Superior cutting-edge optical performance is paired with a new body style for faster handling and incredible ruggedness. With Nikon’s ED glass lenses and advanced optical systems delivering extremely bright, high resolution images— the 2011 models represent the pinnacle of Nikon technology. Part #7567 (10x42)

Nikon's exclusive and legendary ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass lenses
Deliver superior sharpness and color correction for unmatched detail resolution.

The nice thing about optics as well as Rifles ,Calibers and Scopes ; There's an affordable alternative often within the same brand .

salute

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote