Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese Optics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have heard that the mid-range Bushnell is better than the same thing Vortex will get you for $500 because the Bushnell is made in Japan.

Any truth to that?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i duno but i'vr had so much junk from bushnell that i don't care where they are made

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that you would have to look at the actual scope to find its country of origin. Bushnell and many other marketers source their products from various vendors in various countries like Korea, Taiwan, China, Singapore, and the Philippines. Optics from Japan DO tend to be a bit higher in quality than those from other Asian sources, but country of origin alone won't really tell you much.

There are only two large scale American scope manufacturers these days -- Leupold and Burris. However, both now market some optics made elsewhere -- Burris sources many of their models from the Philippines while Leupold's Redfield and Wind River line are from Japan and China. Even the scopes that are "made in USA" use components, mainly lenses, which are sourced overseas.

In short, it is not "where" it is made but what quality standards it is made to that is important.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

In short, it is not "where" it is made but what quality standards it is made to that is important.

Exactly ^^^^^^

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Burris manufactures things?

Are you sure?

I thought Burris was one of the leaders in the forefront of having shit made overseas.

I know Athlon, Vortex and a whole host of others are outsourcing.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris scopes are all assembled in the Phillipines to my knowledge. That happened just after Steiner bought them and they dropped the Black Diamond, and Signature lines.

The glass comes from all over and is made to their specs, just like most other scope makers.

Steiner uses the US Burris scope factory for some of their scopes (GS3 and a Tactical line) and the repair shop for Burris is still there.

They do make some rings, and accessories in the USA still.

Others have stated what is important in scopes. Specs and QC at the factory are what matters.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a real sleeper take a look at the Bausch and Lomb elite series scopes that were made in Japan. I have 4 of them, all purchased for dirt cheap money, and for my eyes they see just as good as the Leupold vX3 scopes.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
If you want a real sleeper take a look at the Bausch and Lomb elite series scopes that were made in Japan. I have 4 of them, all purchased for dirt cheap money, and for my eyes they see just as good as the Leupold vX3 scopes.

Those were marketed by Bushnell when Bushnell owned (or "rented") the Bausch & Lomb name for marketing scopes. (The owners of the Bausch & Lomb trademark have since stopped using it for anything but products related to eye care.) At any rate, when they lost the B&L name Bushnell simply relabeled the same scopes with their own name and continued to sell them for a while. I've never used one of these, but have examined them and the reports of their quality seem credible. It illustrates that all "Bushnells" are not the same.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell 4200s,4500s and 6500s are top notch scopes.The eye relief on the 4200s and 4500s is short but good enough for a low powered rifle.The 6500s have plenty eye relief and to my eyes are as good as anything out there.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Those were marketed by Bushnell when Bushnell owned (or "rented") the Bausch & Lomb name for marketing scopes. (The owners of the Bausch & Lomb trademark have since stopped using it for anything but products related to eye care.) At any rate, when they lost the B&L name Bushnell simply relabeled the same scopes with their own name and continued to sell them for a while. I've never used one of these, but have examined them and the reports of their quality seem credible. It illustrates that all "Bushnells" are not the same.

That's interesting, Stonecreek. I was trying to work out whether Bushnell bought B&L or B&L bought Bushnell - so the answer is neither?

It's a pity B&L doesn't take up its cudgel and return to the high ground of riflescopes it had in the '60s.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver grand slams and super slam are Made in Japan and have some impressive optics. I recently picked up some at excellent prices and they seem certainly as good as the new vx3i line from leupold.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver's Classic series including K-4 and K-6's are made in Japan as well. I just ordered a K-4 that will be replacing a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 on my 358 Win. The higher-end Weaver scopes have pretty decent glass for the money.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote