New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! MY SCOPE IS OUT OF FOCUS!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm going to the range today to try my new savage mkII .17 mach2 and the scope i put on it is blurry... the crosshais are sharp but the target is all fuzzy..... the scope is a bushnell sportview 4-12by 40 with an AO.......i tried to focus it by turning the rear eyepiece then turning the front which is the AO but it just seems to not get clear no matter what i do....HELP QUICK!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's not faulty and the lenses are clean, I believe the proceedure is to put on highest power, focus cross hair with rear adjustment against a plain background (blue sky is good), and AO prob should be on infinity prehaps.

Then leave the rear focus alone. Sight on the range you want, say 100 yards? or whatever and set the AO to same. Look thru scope and if not clear, move AO back and forth slowly to see if it comes sharp. It probably won't be exactly on the mark, but you can just remember the setting.
You could also try a lower power.

Otherwise it's probably stuffed.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not mean to be condescending, but it is unlikely that you will get a very sharp sight picture from any bargain-basement Asian variable scope in that magnification range, particularly one with addtional bells and whistles like the AO. Even if able to focus the sight picture, I'm afraid you will find that the zero will wobble as you adjust the power, as well as the focus coming and going as you adjust power.

The cheap leader lines like the Sportview can be very serviceable in a fixed power, but in variables, especially at higher magnifications, they just won't cut it. I would suggest that an investment in a little higher quality scope would be money well spent.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My own general rule is this:

1. Rear (ocular) lens adjustment is for focusing on the reticle, not the target.

2, Front (objective) lens adjustment is for focusing on the target, not the reticle.

I also take care to look only briefly through my scope when focusing the ocular on the reticle. If I look very long through it, I find my eye adjusts as much as the scope does, or even more. To prevent misleading myself, I look briefly at the reticle while cranking the ocular. Then I put the gun down for 30 seconds or so, pick it up and check/adjust again. I keep doing it this way until when I pick the gun back up the reticle is crystal clear.

I don't find any of that necessary when adjusting the objective lens...I just keep looking through it while cranking the lens until the picture is sharp.

Some scopes never present the whole image as a truly sharp picture or even acceptably sharp in my experience, especially the cheaper 8 x 32-X variables.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote