New
Find
Notify
Tools

One scope , two rifles ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read a thread someplace on this topic [but cant find it now].

The concept of having one scope that can be fitted to two rifles easily i.e not having to change rings on the scope.

Obviously this means using a base set on the lines of a picatiny [or weaver] with rings from Talley, Warne etc, OR a Leupold QR or PRW type system

The scope I have in mind is a 3-12x42 S$B.

I guess a limiting factor would be that the rings on the scope will never move. So the holes on the corresponding bases will have to be aligned as well. I am not sure that Leupolds QR system does this [or just relys on where the holes are mounted on the receiver of the various rifles.

Has anyone done this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p67:

The concept of having one scope that can be fitted to two rifles easily i.e not having to change rings on the scope.

Obviously this means using a base set on the lines of a picatiny [or weaver] with rings from Talley, Warne etc, OR a Leupold QR or PRW type system

I guess a limiting factor would be that the rings on the scope will never move. So the holes on the corresponding bases will have to be aligned as well. I am not sure that Leupolds QR system does this [or just relys on where the holes are mounted on the receiver of the various rifles.

Has anyone done this?

Well, sort of. First Talley's don't fit Picatinny/Weaver type bases or rails, if that's what you meant, Talley QD rings have to go on Talley bases--they are splendid.

I've done this often, and what changes is only one ring position. E.G. I always set it up so the rear ring stays the same so that my eye relief is good on each of the rifles. That provides the 'fixed point' so to speak. the front ring is loosened as needed to mate up with the front ring on the second rifle. I record the elevation adn windage from max adjustment for each scope, and have a sticky label with that info on the bottom of the scope, so it's an easy matter to get the adjustments dialed in, and for me , I simply shoot a couple of rounds at 100 yards to confirm zero, i.e. 2 inches high at 100 and proper windage, and I'm good to go.

Leupold QD's (QRW's) work well also, on Picatinny/Weaver style bases, I like them a lot, but not as much as Talley's!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have a scope mount doing exactly this: www.titanium-gunworks.de

Side and Height adjustment is done on the bases, so You only have to switch between any of your guns...

but the limiting factor are the kind of rifles You wanna use it (brand, type)...?!

So which ones are You planning?

The original mount is made from Titanium and designed for Zeiss or Swarovski rail, but I have a mount for rings in stock as well

Contact me

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
If you are using dissimilar rifles a picatinny rail type will be needed. I do this with two Weatherbys. One is a Mk V the other is a Vanguard. In this case the bases are identical in spread so there is no issue. I use Warne QD rings and bases. I was thinking about going to a rail type on all of my rifles so that a scope swap is seconds away between any of them. Of course a multi zero type setup on the scope will make it easier to change your elevation/windage quickly. Near Manufacturing makes some very high quality bases and rings (rail type).

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poor idea. Reasons are obvious.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If you really what to do it, the last company to make adjustable mounts was B&L/Kuharsky.

I posted this b4. I have mounts for a Sav M99, BAR, Win M70. Win 100. Mauser M98 (ugly).

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
I have a scope mount doing exactly this: www.titanium-gunworks.de

Side and Height adjustment is done on the bases, so You only have to switch between any of your guns...

but the limiting factor are the kind of rifles You wanna use it (brand, type)...?!

So which ones are You planning?

The original mount is made from Titanium and designed for Zeiss or Swarovski rail, but I have a mount for rings in stock as well

Contact me

Klaus

One of the rifles is a Browning BARII. [in 270].

The other one will be a 223. Probably a Remington 700 [although I would like a Sako L461 or A1 re barreled in 223, the new ones are to heavy and crap IMHO]

Scope? Looking a an S&B 3-12x42 or a Zeiss or Swarovski in similar.

I like the Warne base/mount system
Warne Mounts but one thing that concerns me is this...

. If you have the bases set up on 2 dif rifles does the corresponding 'slots' line up perfectly for the scope rings? Leupolds QD system appears to [charts say ring spacing for both the BAR and Remington is 5.6"]. Obviously the system wont work if you have to move the scope rings to align with the slots on the respective bases.

Its just an idea at this stage. Not sure what the obvious reasons are why it is a bad idea, perhaps that person can elaborate and add something constructive?

Cheers for input so far.

BTW. I live in New Zealand [hence the calibre choices. Dont comment on those, I hunt for a living and know what I am on about.].

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The scope I have in mind is a 3-12x42 S$B.

Has anyone done this?
You can possibly achieve this the hard way. Or you can do it the easy way. Bausch & Lomb made a series of telescopic sights, fixed and variable, that had no adjustments. Their base had the adjustments. These sights were intended to do precisely what you want to do. And they were hell for stout. I owned a 4x B&L scope on this principle. A wonderful optic.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
[

One of the rifles is a Browning BARII. [in 270].

The other one will be a 223. Probably a Remington 700 [although I would like a Sako L461 or A1 re barreled in 223, the new ones are to heavy and crap IMHO]

Scope? Looking a an S&B 3-12x42 or a Zeiss or Swarovski in similar.

I.].

That would fit perfect with this kind of rifles...
Especially with a Zeiss VM/ZM-rail or with the Swarovski SR-rail...

If You are interested, let´s chat PM as I have relatives in NZ too...

Thanks Klaus

www.titanium-gunworks.de

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hardware to make this work reliably would probably cost more than having separate scopes for each rifle. Probably not a do it yourself project for most of us.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
The hardware to make this work reliably would probably cost more than having separate scopes for each rifle. Probably not a do it yourself project for most of us.

You are absolutely right if You go just with low or medium quality scopes, but if You pay 2000 € and more for a high end scope or more, it makes sense especially because You could go with even more than 2 rifles and You have the freedom to euqip any rifle with any scope... any time archer

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, have considered it myself. That way one can spend more money for the scope. There are obvious issues, but for me they are minimal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well. I got a 3-12x50 Swaro.
Looks good.

Probably go with the Warne mounts. Seem to be able to get them for a variety of rifles which is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did precisely what you want to do. But it took making custom bases, fitting them to the actions, and then milling the seats for the rings to exactly the same distances apart. (A DRO is very helpful for such a job!)

I made the mounts to accept Leupold QRW rings. They have recoil shoulders that push against the ring just like Talleys. Would have used Talleys were I not an old retired guy on a limited budget and had already purchased the ring sets over time.

Was not a trivial job but it is nice to have five rifles that can swap scopes. Allows me to steal a scope and take it as a spare on a major trip.

Putting together a sixth rifle now and will make mounts for it to match the others.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
my way don´t need costum bases as they yre fully adjustable, so even if You change amo, You just have to adjust the bases new...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

Klaus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to buy two very good Leupolds instead of one very very good S&B. I don't mean to offend, but I honestly don't see the logic in spending a couple thousand dollars on a scope and then trying to save money by sharing it between different guns. I think most people that can afford a S&B can afford two scopes, maybe not two S&B but at least a very good scope like Leupold.

Everytime you move a scope between rifles, you have make sure the point of impact is the same regardless of how good the two sets of mounts are. Everytime you move the scope you risk scratching it and possibly damaging it. And because the guns you are using are so different in purpose, you may compromise on your choice so it fits the different uses of a .223 and a .270.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone done this?

Yes, most of my stuff is set up this way. If using good quality stuff it works beautifully.

My suggestions are:

Use good quality picatinny bases from any number of brand names. Mount them with care, bedding them to the receivers without screw tension so they go on straight, true and stress free.

Use quality rings, most of the mid-level and up tactical rings will do well. Take care when mounting the scope in them to be sure both rings are butted up against a lug on the base (pushing them forward).

Use a torque wrench of some type (I use Seekonk T-handle wrenches) at the proper setting for your rings when swapping for consistency.

Works like a charm.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote