New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 4.5-14x56mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 40X that absolutely loves Federal Gold medal 168s. I recently mounted a Sprgfld I had sitting around that has the comp'd reticle out to 1000. Anyone have any real world experience with this scope and 168s? Is it really as simple as it seems?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes, and no. I personally don't have the scope you mentioned I have a 10X56 with Mil-Dot Recticle on my Savage 10FP. My buddy has the 4.5-14 with the BDC mounted on his Steyr SSG PII. I have a few observations on the scope having fired his rifle on several occasions. The optics on the scope are not that great which can mean difficulty in resolving small targets at long range.

As with any BDC recticle the drop is only valid for a specific set of atmospheric conditions, for the particular load that it is calibrated for. That said we are able to make hits on 600 yd steel plates fairly easily using the BDC. 165gr Nosler BT loads are actually close enough that you can use the recticle to make reasonable hits out to that range as well. If you need real precision you will still need a drop table generated for your specific conditions, and make adjustments using the knobs.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what those Springfield scopes are worth on the used circuit....

never had to chance to play with one until they quit making them...per usual..

I sure wouldn't mind having a couple of them on varmint or target rifles...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was one in the classifieds today that went for 600

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I am going to be honest and say that the one I had was a piece of crap. One time the elevation turret SCREWED OUT OF THE SCOPE. I went to adjust it and the whole turret screwed right out (it was not at max adjustment). When I got it back that time it was ok for a little while and then stopped adjusting for elevation again but at leaest the turret stayed on. When it came back the second time I sold it. I sincerely hope you have better luck but I had nothing but bad w/ mine. My gun dealer told me he heard that Springfield literally had hundreds of them come back. Thats why when they quit making them they went for Clearance prices.I don't know if that's true but just what I had heard.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine too! They are complete garbage.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1st gen SA scopes were well made, 2nd and 3rd the quality dropped a lot. I still have one of the first ones, works well on a 308 with 168's. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote