THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Rem 700 SPS scope bases and rings recommendations?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 SPS scope bases and rings recommendations?
 Login/Join

posted
I just recently ordered a SPS. I've been using a Ruger so don't know that much about picking a base and rings. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
IMO you can't beat the Talley Lightweight one piece bases and rings

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Talley's that Woods suggests!!! thumb
They are THE Best!
Wish I had them on all of my rifles.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prefer the Warne's myself. I have QR rings on all of my Warne bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a Ruger guy I just had to order rings myself for the first time.I went with these Burris Sig rings-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=547603

I also ordered the inserts-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=712472

These are available for most any base type.Good luck!

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I agree that the Talley products are great and their customer service is the best in the business, I would also consider the Leupold dual dovetail system.

I have pretty much gone with the Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases on ALL my rifles over the last few years. I am very impressed with them over all.

My experience with the Talley products have been on rifles owned by other people. The people at Tally are VERY helpfull and want you to have what works for you. I fully recommend that company.

Having said that, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Leupold as well.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions already here, I like the Leupold dual dovetails but I tend to put a scope on and leave it there. If you frequently go through scopes and want to leave the scope body unmarked the signatures are the way to go. Haven't tried Talleys but hear nothing but good about them.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
EAW or IOR EAW styled mounts.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Not familiar with the EAW's.
What are they?

Thanks,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bad experience with Talley and their customer service was useless in my experience. I got rid of their product and would never use them again. You didn't say what scope or caliber you are using. It can make a difference. A heavy scope and heavy recoil rifle requires substantial rings and bases. Badger makes some good stuff.
http://www.badgerordnance.com/...tgroup.php?id=rings#

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Not familiar with the EAW's.
What are they?

Thanks,

Don

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php/item/296

This is the link for the EAW website. They also make a mount for rail scopes.

IOR Bucharesti makes a copy cat scope mount for $140.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've mounted steel Warne tactical mount and rings on my Rem 700 P :

OTOH, regarding detachable mounts for hunting rifles, I trust the German EAW (Ernst Appel Werke) as they always return to and maintain an absolute zero. I own several of them, either in swing-out or fixed variety :

EAW swing-out on Sauer 202

EAW swing-out on Mauser 66S

EAW fixed on custom Win 70

EAW fixed on K31

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:

EAW swing-out on Mauser 66S

Oh well, I know why I don´t like these "turrents of Babylon" ...

I like more the clean style of my Titanium scope mounts:
www.titanium-gunworks.com

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the dual dovetail mount, Burris makes one and you can use the signature rings with it.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like aluminum bases or rings.
I like either the dovetail, windage set up, or the Grand Slam steel mounts and Leupold PRW rings. The steel on steel of GS mounts and PRW rings is solid!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem. 700 Police, .308 Win. Leupold Mark 4 6.5 - 22x 50mm mil dot, Mark 4 rings, base. The ring/base unit is quick detach. We added an Leupold Alumina hood and lens caps. And a Jewell HVR trigger, set these days at about 6 oz. Shooters Ridge Rock 9" - 13" bipod.

Basically this is the civilian version of the US Marine M 40 sniper rifle, only better glass -- much better glass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99, Andre',

Thanks for the info, especially the pix of what they look like.
I saved the EAW link for future reference.
I have now, several rifles with scope mounting problems, where the scope as mounted is not in the optimum position for my eye placement behind the scope. I must do a lot of stock crawling to get my eye in place..
I think the EAW's would solve the problem nicely..
I appreciate it!! thumb

Don