Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Gun Scope......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Looking for a adequate scope for one of my turkey guns.

I've narrowed it to:

Pentax Whitetails Unlimited Mossy Oak BU 2-5x20 $189.99 shipped

Burris FFII Camo 1.75-5x20 $184.98 shipped

Leupold VXI 1-4x20 (Matte Blk) $195.00 shipped

The Leupold has the best eye relief but, I'm not sure how I'll like the heavy duplex. It also has less light transmission than the others which shouldn't be that much of a problem since it will be on a turkey gun.

My main concern is durability. Any of you that have shot a 3.5" mag turkey load know exactly what I mean. I've seen cheap turkey scopes fail miserably from the recoil of a shotgun.

I really don't need any fancy reticle, a plain duplex is fine.

Noone here locally carries any of these so I'll just have to hope for the best when I choose one. I feel they are all probably good scopes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They may be higher grade models, but I think Leupold turkey scopes have different types of redicules available.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I have the same Leupold that you list mounted on my turkey gun, and have been entirely satisfied with it. The heavy duplex suits me fine in this application. Others may want to use the higher magnification, but I have been happy simply leaving my scope set on 2X. Good luck with your decision.

Al

Spend your life wisely.

Posts: 49 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold has the new brown turkey scope with a circle X reticle. Look it up - looks good - VX I either 1-4 or 2-7 to pick from.

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Have you considered something with an aimpoint reticle?
If so and are interested in a scope I would go with something that has the faster target aquisition out of those 3 scopes you mentioned plus eye relief.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you considered something with an aimpoint reticle?

Not really, I feel I'll just keep it simple. No batteries or no fancy reticles needed really. A plain old duplex is all I need to get on an ole Tom's noggin.

It seems as if the Leupold is probably going to have several pros:

Best eye relief
Best resale
Very good durability

But, it does have cons:

Less light transmission
Tension adjustments
Not available in camo
Heavy Duplex

Hard to decide, I feel like they are all probably good choices. I really don't have much experience with Pentax's Whitetails Unlimited line so, I'm not real sure how durable they would be under intense recoil.
I feel the Burris and the Leupold would probably be up to the challenge.

Thank goodness it's a long time until next turkey season. I'm just going to use one of my spare 3-9 Leupies for patterning in the next few weeks.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm wrong but have always been led to believe that burris makes or supplies the parts for the pentax scopes. I would go with the leupold....I'm not a leupold fan but here is a case where the long eye relief, coupled with sturdy construction, and with a real good service department and warranty if the absolute worse happens, is probably the best route. You can wrap the scope in camo tape, and I bet the normal reticle will be fine. Like you said....if resale becomes a reality, they are still one of the easiest scopes to recoup the most of your $ back.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why a scope for Turkey Hunting???????With a Extra full Turkey choke 40yds is the max I would shoot.I am just curious as I have Turkey hunted for 40 some years and can`t understand Why one is needed???????I think its a answer to a non-existant problem.Unless you are handi-capped with a visual problem(And I hope that is not the case).What is the reasoning!!!!!Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Why a scope for Turkey Hunting???????With a Extra full Turkey choke 40yds is the max I would shoot.I am just curious as I have Turkey hunted for 40 some years and can`t understand Why one is needed???????I think its a answer to a non-existant problem.Unless you are handi-capped with a visual problem(And I hope that is not the case).What is the reasoning!!!!!Thanks,OB

Very good point.
Well stated too!!!
My Step Dad hunted Turkeys for years with a shotgun and never had a scope on it. He brought home a Turkey every year. Our limit was one per year. But, he knew how to call them too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really believe we are all individuals with different preferences, and should use what works for us. I want to be careful not to get into a debate about what is best. But some of us find as we get older that it is more challenging than ever to have reasonable focus on the sights and the target. And with tight chokes, there is not much margin for error. The scope puts everything in one focal plane. That is what I find helpful. I could care less about the magnification, but since I have it, I use the 2X setting. Just my experience.

Al

Spend your life wisely.

Posts: 49 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey WoodsyAl, Ok ,just wanted to know.Wasn`t trying to start a debate or be a wiseass.Just curious.Maybe a Aimpoint would work.I use them on my Revolvers for the reasons you mentioned. Big Grin OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodseye had the right reply as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure there isn't any difference in Pentax / Burris in matching product lines. As was indicated you aren't picking out holes in the brush at 250 yards so your requirements aren't demading of your scope except for the ability to withstand substantial recoil. Leupold is tough to beat in that arena and especially in that price range. I put one on a light 375 H&H for the same reasons.....but I'd go with the Conquests if they had been available then. Heavy duplex or turkey reticle or plain jane crosshairs should all look good at 20-50 yards on an old gobbler head. A little non-marring camo tape will probably even protect the finish and maitain the eventual re-sale value too.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Olbiker, It's quite simple. Scopes are much faster for target aquisition when using super tight chokes.

I have quite a few shotguns and choke combinations. My favorite setup will shoot tight patterns out to 50 yards and I've killed quite a few gobblers at that range when they hung up around hens. I've shot beads and fiber optic sights until now and what I'm going to do is keep my fiber optic sighted gun as well as rig up a full blown turkey rig with a low powered scope.

When you use a super tight choke, the patterns at 15-25 yards are so tight many folks miss birds. I always thought it was ridiculous to miss a turkey head. Well, this season I was lucky enough to bag 5 nice longbeards but, missed one of the birds at close range and was lucky enough to get one in him before he left out. When using the fiber optics and a tight load, you have to focus on three things, the rear sight, front sight, and the turkeys head. In the heat of the moment it takes that extra little bit of time to get these lined up.

I've hunted with scopes since a child and grew up shooting running deer in front of walker hounds. I find aquiring targets in a scope is very fast for me. Just to be sure I wanted to scope one of my turkey rigs, I took out my slug shotgun with low powered scope and tried to mimic a turkey hunting situation. I can tell you right then and there I knew a scope would be great on a turkey gun. When comparing the low powered scope to open sights, target aquisition was much faster. There's nothing to focus on really, just place the x on his head and squeeze.

Just about all of the turkey hunting scope users I've talked with say they'd never go back. I'm going to give it a good try next season if this new turkey rig will pattern to my liking.

Hope that clears up the matter.

Have a Good One,

Reloader