Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking at the 8x42 BX-3 Mojave's. I'm guessing the Cascade and Acadia are lower end binoculars?

I've looked through the Leica 10x25's and really enjoyed how amazing they were. Just looking for something with a little bit more light gathering.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, Leupold sources all but its most expensive models from Asia these days. Most of their Asian instruments are of pretty good design and fairly well constructed (and have excellent lenses, as do virtually all optics these days).

But as with any "value priced" binocular of any make, the individual instruments vary a bit in how well they are put together. Specifically, some of them will be well collimated, while others may have one barrel pointing "somewhere else". It is best if you can examine the actual instrument you are considering purchasing in order to check the collimation in person.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek- any other binoculars you reccomend?

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In "popularly priced" models most binos are pretty much the same.

I'm in the minority, but I much prefer an Individual Focusing binocular to the CF models. The IF is simpler to focus initially, stays where you put it, and the lack of a central focusing cam allows the frame to be much tougher and less likely to get knocked out of collimation. For the same reason, an IF is much more easily made waterproof.

Sometimes you can find some of the older IF Leupolds for sale on ebay or some place similar, but there are a few guys out there like me who recognize their superiority for hunting and they usually bid them up pretty high.

The last new bino I bought was a Japanese Minox 9.5x42 with IF. It is a heavier instrument than the Leupolds and shows a bit more flare around the edges, but is still a very usable bino.

A few binocular manufacturers make a CF which has a LOCK on it. That's a big step forward and the next best thing to doing away with the CF entirely.

CF's are for birdwatchers. I don't say this disparagingly at all. Birdwatchers need a high power bino which can be instantly refocused from 40 feet to 40 yards as the subject flits from branch to branch. Hunters (in most situations) need a bino which is focused to infinity and stays there. But birdwatchers are the big market for binos and drive what the manufacturers offer.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Leupold Cascades 10X and a pair of Nikon Monarchs 12X

For the money they are unbeatable at sub $300

I hunt with several Colorado boys and they all use Leupold and Nikon for all glass

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments!

I've glassed through Swarovski's and I absolutely love the feel of them in my hand. Eventually I will have a pair for myself but at the moment I am just needing a pair to get me through the next month or so of hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could not have said this better. It is the way to go for a hunting binoc.

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
In "popularly priced" models most binos are pretty much the same.

I'm in the minority, but I much prefer an Individual Focusing binocular to the CF models. The IF is simpler to focus initially, stays where you put it, and the lack of a central focusing cam allows the frame to be much tougher and less likely to get knocked out of collimation. For the same reason, an IF is much more easily made waterproof.

Sometimes you can find some of the older IF Leupolds for sale on ebay or some place similar, but there are a few guys out there like me who recognize their superiority for hunting and they usually bid them up pretty high.

The last new bino I bought was a Japanese Minox 9.5x42 with IF. It is a heavier instrument than the Leupolds and shows a bit more flare around the edges, but is still a very usable bino.

A few binocular manufacturers make a CF which has a LOCK on it. That's a big step forward and the next best thing to doing away with the CF entirely.

CF's are for birdwatchers. I don't say this disparagingly at all. Birdwatchers need a high power bino which can be instantly refocused from 40 feet to 40 yards as the subject flits from branch to branch. Hunters (in most situations) need a bino which is focused to infinity and stays there. But birdwatchers are the big market for binos and drive what the manufacturers offer.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a pair of Leupold BX-2 Cascades for Christmas from my hunting buddy. We were deer hunting and I couldn't see the deer he was seeing. We went to Scheels for another reason and he said he wanted to look at binos. After looking through 3 or 4 sets I said I really like these. Here, Merry Christmas, he said. I used them the next day and was thoroughly impressed with them. And I thought my old one were good, NOT. Leupold is a good choice. Mine are 10X42 by the way.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY and find a pair of Bausch&Lomb Rochester NY made. The Zephyrs are lighter and have center focus. The 7x50's that were used in the military are individual focus--Mac truck tough, but heavy and bulky. The Zephyrs are tough too. Best buy in binoculars.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote