Find
Notify
Tools

NEW SCOPE BRANDS TO ME
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Went to Cowboy Christmas here in Vegas on Saturday. I ran into booths offering RUDOLPH and MAVEN scopes. Do you guys know anything about either brand?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
MAVEN

Can't say I'd heard of Maven before but they seem to claim serious intent on their specs page and even quote twilight factors (though some smart-asses claim the concept is rubbish) and FoV in degrees as well as feet.

I am dubious about large variable ranges and power multiples, though, even on brands I know, let alone those that just pop up - but I'm glad to see they use etched-glass reticles on the 2.5-15x.

The eye relief on the 2-10x model seems a bit short, though, yet the FoV is hardly better at 2x than the bigger model is a 2.5x.

I would have a look through them and check for excess tunnel vision etc (another obscure Japanese brand I saw recently is a shocker).

As you may be aware, the whole concept of constantly centred reticles in almost all modern scopes is dodgy in my opinion. And yet it would seem that some brands may have civilised it to a point of some reliability, including the Japanese Nikon, which actually makes its scopes in the Philippines.

To trust a new brand using this design with its recoil-vulnerable articulated erector tube, including the extra-complex (and heavy?) power scroll of a high-multiple variable, is buying a pig in a poke. Maybe in 20 years the brand's trustworthiness will be known to some extent.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

Went to Cowboy Christmas here in Vegas on Saturday. I ran into booths offering RUDOLPH and MAVEN scopes. Do you guys know anything about either brand?

Mark

If I’m not mistaken, Rudolph was started by a South African and the scopes are made in China or Japan.

It was designed to give South Africans a more affordable option in comparison to other entry level brands. As you know with our shit economy, brands like Leupold are at the higher end of what most people would spend on scopes.

I haven’t had any experience with it, but a few friends have used them a bit.

Posts: 391 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maven is a recent straight to consumer start up

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost anybody can build a good, serviceable scope if it is fixed magnification of modest power.

When you start adding features like variable magnification, high magnification, wide range of variable magnification, correcting parallax, range compensation dials, lighted reticles, et. al., each "feature" makes it more vulnerable to manufacturing/design defects or breakage. If you want "fancy" features stick with proven manufacturers.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote