THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    How are scope rings measured Low, Med or High…

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are scope rings measured Low, Med or High…
 Login/Join

posted
How are scope rings measured Low, Med or High???
I am wondering if there are standard dimensions that apply regardless of manufacturer. Also where is the dimensions measured to and from??

NRA Life Member
V.H.A. Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 8 | Location: Alexandria, Minnesota | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that they tend to vary a bit from one manufacture to the other. How that are measured is a little different also because the bases are not all the same.

Welcome to the world of scoped rifles clap

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootin Far:
How are scope rings measured Low, Med or High???
I am wondering if there are standard dimensions that apply regardless of manufacturer. Also where is the dimensions measured to and from??

Non-standard. They are all different between makers.
Brownell's has a chart in their catalog listing measurements for each maker, for low, medium, high and super high, if someone makes a super high.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Don said.

To confuse matters further, some manufacturers list the height of the ring from the base to the bottom of the tube, while others list the height from the base to the center of the tube.

Furthermore, the height of the bases, even if the same system (ie. Weaver-type cross-lcoks, Redfield dovetail, etc.) will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. To get whatever actual mounting height you desire, you almost have to do a trial-and-error test with the bases and rings.

For example, I helped a friend mount a 40mm AO scope on his heavy barreled target rifle this weekend. We had assumed that he would need at least "medium" rings, and perhaps "tall" ones. Surprisingly, the bases on his FN action were unusually tall, allowing as low as a "low" ring to be used. But because his stock comb is very high, the "medium" turned out to place the scope at the right level for the shooter's eye.

When mounting your own scope, it is best to purchase from a source which will allow you to return/exchange if your first, best guess turns out wrong.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back guys!!

I ended up with a Leupold "Med"
I was using Leupold bases already so it worked out good.

NRA Life Member
V.H.A. Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 8 | Location: Alexandria, Minnesota | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Leupold web indicator or call Talley.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote