Find
Notify
Tools

Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. - question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I picked up another one for cheap ($74) in like new condition.

This one has the camera mount, and doesn't require a saddle mount tripod, so it will replace the one i already have.

But here is my question.
The older one, the focus adjustment seems to need a real good cleaning. In cold weather, I can barely move it.

This scope is not gas filled, and has 3 screws on the back of it. I'm thinking its old oil or grease that someone may have used in the distant past that is gumming things up.

Has anyone ever taken one of these apart and got it back together? I can't locate any schematics for it online.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 plus years ago I took mine on an antelope hunt in dusty area are the focus all but jammed up solid. I took it apart to the extent needed to clean and relube the focus adjustment screw without any difficulty.

20 years later the optical quality had deteriorated to the point of having difficulty spotting bullet holes as 100 yards. Taking normal precautions {Clean soft cotton gloves, clean tools, not touching optical surfaces, making diagrams of how it came apart, etc} I completely disassembled it, cleaned the prisms/lenses, and reassembled it. This restored the optical properties There are no tricky assemblies, bonded areas, etc to make this task difficult.

Posts: 159 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks GBS, that the kind of info I was looking for!!

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
GBS, thanks again. I got it apart. The prism's were surprisingly clean.

I was unable to get the focus mechanism out of the body. There is a small screw, set screw I believe, in the side of the adjustment knob, but I couldn't get it to turn more than 1/8 turn at best. I bent the tip of my mini screwdriver trying to get it loose.

I removed the prism's, and cleaned everything up with alcohol then the focus knob began to move freely.

I reassembled and now it's working just fine.

Thanks again.

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
still is one of the best spotters around

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
still is one of the best spotters around

I definitely agree, Now I have 2 of them!

NRA Benefactor.