New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver K4's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone please walk me through the evolution of the Weaver K4 Scopes. For instance what is the difference between the K4 C3 and the K4 60B? At what point (models) did weatherproofing and centered reticules come in?
I'm looking to buy one for a vintage rifle project but don't want to buy something totally based on looks.

Thanks

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometime between 1946 and 1950, caps were put on the adjustment screws.

The 60B scopes were introduced about 1956. They were the first Weaver constantly centered reticle scopes.

About 1968, the Dual-X reticle (Duplex) was introduced.

About 1978, Micro-Trac adjustments were introduced, and marked on the adjustment housing.

My C3 scopes have Dual-X reticles, click adjustments, and are not Micro-Trac, which places them between 1968 and 1973. I've never seen a 60B with Dual-X reticle. I have -1 scopes with and without Micro-Trac.

Below is a list I started working on to try to find out more about Weaver scopes.

---------------------------------------

Weaver K-scopes

1946 K2.5 and K4 . No caps

???? K6

1950 KV, K8, and K10 Capped adjustments happened by this time. What year?

1954… “and a short time later the K1 and K3 were added”

1956 60B series (constantly centered reticles)

Next was the V8

1966 V7 and V9

1967 K12 and V4.5

1968 K1.5 . Dual-X reticle (Is this the -C3 introduction?)

1969 V12

1973 –W wide view ocular lenses , Click adjustments changed to friction for better waterproofing. (Is this the -1 introduction?)

1978 Micro-Trac adjustments

1981 K8-56. FX4 and VX9 range compensation

1982 K4S, a stainless K4. KT6, KT10, KT16 target K-models

1983 K4 now in stainless, matte, and gloss

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bcp: Thanks for the rundown! I, too, would like to see a complete history of the models and variations. I hope someone who is a Weaver enthusiast might chime in here with more information.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bcp,
That helps a lot. Something else I picked up to add is that the 60B was the last model to use metal retaining rings (end caps) for the lenses. Seems the 60B'S bring more money on ebay than the later C3's do. Don't know if this is why.

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I've got an old K4. It's a steel tubed El Paso model. The reticle is a post and crosshair.
Don't know much else about it. It still works great. It sits on my 45/70 because of it's generous eye relief.
Maybe someone can give a more accurate ID

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,

Neat looking rifle/scope set up you have.. I like it.

I have a K-6 I'll be installing on an old Rem 722. The scope tube is perfect, no marks of any kind..

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 1982 as I was removing the WEAVER lens protector it broke the plastic ring at the front of the lens. This ring had previously been metal---not sure what year model the broken scope was. Sent it to El Paso with the "protector" on it so they could tell what had happened. They sent me an estimate of cost. I sent letter that I shouldn't have to pay when their "protector" wrecked it. Did not hear back and they were holding my scope in ransom it appeared---so I sent check. I was not home when mail delivered--but same day check was picked up my scope was dropped off. They never sent a refund and I didn't pursue it further.
One neat thing about El Paso Weavers was they had a reprint of a 1947 article that Jack O'Connor wrote for Outdoor Life. This was about how to sight in a scope and in my books it was the best article ever written on the subject.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote