New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&B or Swarovski?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If one wanted a top of the line 30mm scope with a 42mm objective which would you choose:

S&B 3-12x42 or Swarovski 2.5-10x42?

The Swarovski is 5 ozs lighter, and cheaper than the S&B, which I like but don't want to sacrifice on quality.

Thanks

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
No question: The Swarovski!!!

The S&B has sidelight problems, the Swaro has the better crystal sharp image, the best concept and by far the through and though quality build scope, no on price and in case of doubt the best servicce anyhow!

On which rifle should it be mounted?
-> if possible, You should use the SR-rail mount instead of rings as this is the best and only recoil proof way of mounting!!!

Contact me for more details if You want...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The S&B is a more robust scope IMHO and the view is secound to none

I have 3 S&B scopes and the view rivials my Swarovski spotting scope. Nothing tops a S&B IMHO

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
The S&B is not more robust... Just heavier in weight, but this is not equivalent with robustness!!!

Take a compare look through both scopes (not the US sold ones but the European!) and You will definetly see a huge difference! Look Your own!!!

The Swarovski uses NO plastic parts inside the scope except for sealing o-rings - this is not made by any other of the manufacturers...

And as I told: compare the service if something fails from Zeiss, S&B and Swarovski and You won´t find any better company then Swarovski: enough users of 30+ year old scopes or binos who got repairs made free of any charge - even if it was not Swarovski´s fault, but the users like dropping etc.

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Swaro,

S&B is too damn heavy for a hunting scope, I like the Zeiss also!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. What are "sidelight Problems"?
The scopes (I need two) will be mounted in H&H side mounts on a pair of custom 375 and 300 H&H rifles. So no rails.
Seems to be a loyal following for both. If quality is very close to the same, I think I may go with the Swarovski. The rifles are already a little on the heavy side and I'm not sure I want the extra 5 ozs.
Any more thoughts on this are appreciated.

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quality is the same between the two in my opinion, they're both as good as you can get. Several of my friends have S&B 2.5x10x56's and I have a swaro 2.5x10x56. I can't tell any difference in them other than my swaro is a little lighter.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The S&B is the very best that I have ever looked through and I'll take that bet on the ruggedness of a S&B vs a Swarovski. My S&B scopes resolution is as good or better than my Swarovski spotter.

Even cracked the stock, but not the S&B

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not get a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 or 56 seem rather ideal...

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any scope with a 50mm or larger objective is out. The rifles are being built n the classic British sporting style and they just wouldn't look right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua W. Rich:
Any scope with a 50mm or larger objective is out. The rifles are being built n the classic British sporting style and they just wouldn't look right.

Amen on the 50 mm Objective scopes.
I do have two Swaro scopes and a S&B, a 4x36, and can't make a recommendation as all are first rate scopes.

Don

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer the Swarovski. I think the coating is better and reduces glare better than S&B and Zeis. They are all great, it really is personal preference. I also prefer the 2.5x10 vs a 3x12 in the same objective size, the 2.5x10 will transfer more light in low light situations.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You also should throw Zeiss into the mix. I have several Swaro PH's and a S&B Zenith and have used the higher end Zeiss' also. To be honest I don't see much difference in them optically - all are excellent.

The S&B's are a little heavier which may or may not make them more durable, you'd have to really bash a Swaro PH to break it. The Zeiss' are plenty tough too.

I would base my decision on other things such as reticle choice, lotutec coating and/or other features, or simply buy whichever one I could find the best deal on. S&B Zenith, Zeiss V/VM and Swaro PH's are all good I can be happy with any of them...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swarovski 2.5-10x42

I couldn't even find this model on their web page??!

They show 50 and 56mm ob. models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5x10x42 Swarovski has been discontinued. If that's what you want, you better move quickly. I have gotten rid of most of my 30MM scopes because of their weight and switched to Swarovski 1 inch scopes. The only S&B I like is the Zenith line.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Swaro 2.5-10x42 PH model was superceded by the Z6 1,7-10x42.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
The 2.5x10x42 Swarovski has been discontinued. ne.

If that´s what You want - I have ordered a brandnew from Swarovski last week, but that was number #2 in stock - so there is only ONE left and then they are out for ever...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned 2 4-16x50 swaro's and a z62-12x50 swaro. A 3-12x42 S and B a 3-12x50 s and B zenith and a police and marks man 3-12x50 S and B and a bunch of Zeiss victories at the same time. I no longer own any Swaro's and own more S and B's and victories. The z6 had horrible paralex problems and one of the 4-16's a paralex problem even though it had an adjustable objective. I feel swaro can be hit or mis and I have never missed with a S and B or a zeiss victory.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
If there is something out there better than a S&B, I'd like to know about it, because I want one.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I appreciate all the comments. I believe that I'm going to go with the S&B. I'm in Afghanistan at the moment but will be home next week. I'll stop by the dealers and take a look through them before making my final decision though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&B!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have used plenty of both and have had and seen plenty of moisture and internal mold problems with the Swa's.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Kahles,a parent company of Swarovski made good scopes.They have a suprisingly wide field of view,excellent optics,compact and light.
They offer excellent value for money too.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote