New
Find
Notify
Tools

leupold hd
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I consider Leupold optics among the best you can find.
I would like to know if their golden ring hd binoculars are their top of the line and comparable to VX-7 for example.
People seem to agree that in optics you normally get what you pay for and I was concerned that these may be a bit on the cheap side.
How do you think the would stand a side by sode comparison with binos costing 3 times as much, like Leicas Ultravids or Swaros ELs?
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a new pair of binos. Before I did it, of course I tested sevral different brands and models. I found that Swaros SLC, not the EL, was the best for me. Of course, the EL was not worse, but a lot more expensive.
The cheaper ones, simply couldnt match, nor could the Leica I tried. Eeker
What works for me or you, doesnt necessary work for the other.
I guess this reply didnt help a lot, so all I can say is;try for yourself. Then make your own decision, about how much you wanna spend and what your needs are.

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply, Asti.

The thing is that I would be ordering tem online without the oportunity of testing them first.

I think the Leupold optics are very, very good, not just in term of value for the money they cost, but in absolute terms also.

I see a big difference in scopes, between the VX-II and the VX-III and I wanted to know if these Golden Ring HDs are top odf the line because I am surprised of how cheap they sell.

Maybe it is because no one buys them as may be deducted fro the lack of responses to my inquiry here.

Best regards from Spain, and thanks.

montero

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Depending on the kind of hunting you do, the quality of your binoculars may be more important than the quality of your scope. In a perfect world both would be top quality, but I think one spends a lot more time looking through binoculars, and it's with the binoculars that you locate game in thick cover, evaluate trophy size and sex, etc. Besides, you can use binoculars for sightseeing, birdwatching, sporting events, looking at girls on the beach and boating/navigation. I have Leupold scopes but Leica binoculars.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Merci, Wink.

I use Leica binoculars too but, looking at the price these HD's sell for and the very favourable exchange rate, I was seriously considering buying a pair of their smaller 8x32s that I would be using in my mountain hunts.

In the mountains you will normally be in full day light so the better light gathering capabilities of the best-in-class Europeans might not be needed. Also, I always hunt with my spotting scope and I only use the binoculars to locate the game and not to judge the animal or its trophy.

I don't know, but I see so well with the VX-III scopes from Leupold, that I am still tempted to buy those HD's.

I was surprised of the lack of response to the thread given the large number of participants from North America and the inmense following Leupold has among them.

Maybe no-one cares for these binoculars, no-one buys them and that is the reason why they sell cheap.

Best regards from spain,

Montero

posted Hide Post
I have looked through these binoculars but do not own them. In my opinion, they compare well to the top European binoculars. Please see the birding site:

www.betterviewdesired.com

for their independent evaluation. They gave these binoculars their highest rating. These binoculars have only been on the market for a few years, experience is still being accumulated.

Bayo