New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After lots of searching I finally found a complete scope mount, including the screws for a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903. I happen to have one of these chambered for 6.5x54MS. Mine has one of the Lyman peep sights that swings back when the bolt it cycled. As I get older, the peep is harder and harder for my to use since my eyes ain't what they used to be. I love this trim little rifle and don't want failing vision regulate it to being a "Safe Queen".

The question is, what to use for a scope. The mounts I found have the windage and elevation settings on the mount to accomodate the old vintage scopes. But I'm not really concerned with going vintage, I want to use this rifle for whitetails. I've always been a fan of Leupold but also have Burris, Bushnell, Nikon and Bausch & Lomb scopes.

If you had a vintage classic Mannlicher and were going to scope it, what would you choose? I'm leaning towards a Leupold 4x. I don't think a variable would be good for this rifle and I'd like to keep it as light weight as possible.

Your opinions are valued.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look on Gun Broker under Mannlicher Schoenauer you will find Watts Walnut who makes a copy of the Redfield mounts used for MS rifles. It would require drilling and tapping but works well. Price for the bases is about $165. NECG also offers mounts that require drilling & tapping. You will need a scope with a lot of tube length to poition on your rifle. I put a Zeiss Conquest on mine and it worked like a charm. I tried a Leupold 2.5x8 but could not position it properly.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
If you look on Gun Broker under Mannlicher Schoenauer you will find Watts Walnut who makes a copy of the Redfield mounts used for MS rifles. It would require drilling and tapping but works well. Price for the bases is about $165. NECG also offers mounts that require drilling & tapping. You will need a scope with a lot of tube length to poition on your rifle. I put a Zeiss Conquest on mine and it worked like a charm. I tried a Leupold 2.5x8 but could not position it properly.

Maybe I didn't make it clear, I already have mounts. I don't need a new set. I'm looking for advice on scopes. What was your problem with positioning the Leupold? Was it just the length or something else?

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redfield type mount required a scope be mounted close to the front scope bell to give adequate eye relief. I could not move the Leupold scope far enough rearward.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Mannlicher 6.5x54 a few years back. I mounted an old Weaver K4 on it and it worked great.

I had Watts Walnut make a mount for my 1959 vintage 458 Win Mag. It works great, but I thought the scope was a little high over the reciever.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A scope with a small eye piece works best.
If you can get 7/8" rings an old Lyman Alaskan would be good. If you use a 1" scope you might find an old Weaver 2.5 or 3X. Those scopes do not have a front bell and they are more compact. Helps keep your rifle from looking like it has the Hubble mounted on it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iron site in Tusla, Oklahoma would the the place to look for a weaver. They refurbish them and usually have them on hand for sale. They sorted out my husqvarna sporter that was drilled for a side mount. I shot it today with the 2.5 and the little weaver works great. I couldn't bring myself to drill it for modern mounts so they found and fitted a side mount that worked with the existing holes.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time ago I had a Mannlicher Sch. 1903 with original Q.D. mounts and rings and a K. Zeiss 4 x 32 scope (1970 vintage scope). Great rifle / caliber and scope, but they had gone with a friend. Now I have other 1903 M. Sch but without mounts and rings: big problem. The short K. Zeiss 4 x 32 it's excellent for this gun. Regards. Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the mounts on the rifle now so you know and can measure what length scope will fit.

Hopefully your mounts are not those side mounts that I don't prefer on MS's.

I found an used Zeiss Diatal C 4X32 4X for one of my MS's. Make sure it's reticule is heavy enough. Class scope.

It's in Redfield top mounts.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.