New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentax Binos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been shopping for a 'mid-priced' bino; somewhere in the $600-$700 dollar range.

I checked the Viper Vortex HD and really like them.
Wasn't as impressed with Steiner as I thought I'd be.
Heard nothing but bad stuff about Nikon...
Loved the Cabelas Euro & Euro HD.
Like Minox.
Didn't like Bushnell Elite...
Didn't like Leupold..
I like the Weaver Grand Slam, but it's only $430 so "it can't be any good..."

I found a Pentax DCF SP, in 8x43 and was really impressed with them. So I did more research on the Pentax and ended up buying... drum roll please...

Pentax DCF ED 10x50

Looking forward to getting them and taking them hunting!

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you'll like them. I have a pair of 8x43 SPs and they are just about as good as my Swarovski SLC 8x30s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has those same Pentax binocs you are looking at. He loves them. His hunting buddy uses Swarovski and while there is a difference its not a lot. For the money they are great binocs.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Experts'are telling the FOV is too narrow (261/1000).

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the purchase! I've had a pair of DCF WPII's for about 6 years now, and while they're not the level of the SP's, I've been very satisfied with them. They go hunting or hiking with me every time and have survived, and performed, on a PG hunt in Namibia.

No, they're not Swaros or Leicas, but they don't cost as much, either. A very solid brand for binos, IMO.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 4 decent pairs of binoculars but always choose the old Pentax DCF's to hunt with because they look the best to me. If mine were lost/stolen I'd replace them with the 10x50 DCF's.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a set of 8 x 32 DCF SP for $299 for my wife. They're on the FedEx truck and should be delivered today. I can't wait to try them out. I've heard lots of good reviews.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pentax binos and scopes are very underrated. You should be very happy with those. If anything ever happens to my old Burris binos I'll also be buying a pair of 10x50 DCFs.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Pentax 8x43 DCF SP at an auction. I took them, a Zeiss 8x30 & a Leitz 8x40 out one evening to compare in the field. I was looking into dark shadows and at detail around a pond edge at about 200 yards. They came in the #1 Leitz, #2 Pentax, #3 Zeiss. I was suprised.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Even though you have "heard bad stuff" about Nikon, you may want to pick up a pair of the new Nikon Monarch 7's and look through them just for grins. They run around $500. I have used them this past season and really like them.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote