Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA and Leapers Scopes
 Login/Join

posted
Are they as good of a bargain as I have heard?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of buying a Leapers or BSA scope, get out $50 in cash, take a match, then light the bills and watch them burn. You'll be out $50, but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration. You'll never regret buying a decent scope, and you don't have to spend a fortune. For somewhere around $200 you can get a new Leupold, Burris, or Nikon. Granted, for this price you'll be getting something from their budget line and the optics won't be top shelf, but they'll be a whole lot better than anything Leapers has to offer. I probably haven't been completely fair to BSA since I hear they hold up better than Leapers, but after looking through one of their models that costs north of $100, I would still pass.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely - if you buy enough of them - in quantity they can be stuffed under the wheels of your truck when it is stuck in the mud, and they provide good traction

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VXI is affordable, but it's definitely not a cheaply built scope. It's built as well as the VXII, etc. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the others, do not buy BSA or Leapers, except BSA Sweet 17 I hear is OK on a 17 HRF or .22
There are some cheaper scopes out there that are a bargin for the money, Tasco World Class Plus, Simmons Aetec Master, and Bushnell 3200 are a few.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my sks has broken 3 leapers scopes so far.

the lifetime warranty does not cover shipping.

the scope is no longer cheaply priced, just cheaply built....

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was thinking of them as a cheap scope for a .22. I'll look elsewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Here's a cheap scope that's not bad quality. It's actually a Burris Full Field II scope with a Pentax sticker on it. I have 3 of these on some low demand rifles (rimfires, etc.).

http://www.cameralandny.com/op....pl?page=pentax89614

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savoir_Faire:
Thanks. I was thinking of them as a cheap scope for a .22. I'll look elsewhere.

Good decision! Try here. Free shipping too. thumb

http://www.opticsplanet.net/si...copes-si39x32rf.html

Sightron is a great brand, and notice that the RF model comes with a FINE plex. Most other
rimfire scopes have the standard plex.

Believe me......you do want the fine plex!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been
Screwed
Again

Barely
See
Anything

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The Nikon is the best quality in a mid priced scope. I have replaced BSA's, VX1's and VX11's plus a Grandslam that went sour with Nikons and really like them. Blue Bazooka for a good deal.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
The Nikon is the best quality in a mid priced scope. I have replaced BSA's, VX1's and VX11's plus a Grandslam that went sour with Nikons and really like them. Blue Bazooka for a good deal.

Von Gruff.

NO FINE PLEX! He's looking for a rimfire scope!
Not looking for a pissing match, but I'll match
a Sightron against a Phillipino Nikon anytime!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
NO FINE PLEX! He's looking for a rimfire scope!
a Sightron against a Phillipino Nikon anytime!

Don I must have skipped over the 22LR requirment, and I should have added "in my experience"to my recomendation. I have not seen a Sightron nor indeed used a great many other brands.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Don Slater wrote: "NO FINE PLEX! He's looking for a rimfire scope!
a Sightron against a Phillipino Nikon anytime!"

OOPS! I'd better get rid of some of my scopes on .22 LR that do not have fine plex. And to think they've worked perfectly for all of these years... Roll Eyes

Also, when comparable models are compared, Nikon quality exceeds that of Sightron across the board in virtually all critical performance areas.

Don't get me wrong: Sightron does indeed make some nice optics. But they are far from a knock-out punch to Nikon.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9407 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Don Slater wrote: "NO FINE PLEX! He's looking for a rimfire scope!
a Sightron against a Phillipino Nikon anytime!"

OOPS! I'd better get rid of some of my scopes on .22 LR that do not have fine plex. And to think they've worked perfectly for all of these years... Roll Eyes

Also, when comparable models are compared, Nikon quality exceeds that of Sightron across the board in virtually all critical performance areas.

Don't get me wrong: Sightron does indeed make some nice optics. But they are far from a knock-out punch to Nikon.

Bobby,

I don't doubt your experience or expertise. I suppose it depends on what the 22 lr is used for.

For shooting a smallish animal like a ground squirrel, or perhaps a mouse or rat, I personally find a standard plex to cover too much target area making the shot more difficult.
Rat shooting at the local dump was a great pastime for me as a kid! But I guess those days are long gone?

I know some folks just punch paper, and are damn good at that. I experienced some of that this weekend at an organized shoot! But my goodness, I wouldn't know how to use a 6-18X50 scope on my little 22 lr? A rimfire 2X7 or 3X9 is adequate for me. My little Dakota 22 lr sports an older Burris 6X HBR. I sent it to Burris to have the fine plex installed for the reasons I've mentioned.

I use mine as a plinker. And I do confess that
there are many uses for a 22 lr I had not been aware existed.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but my advice was based on my own limited, though lengthy (50+ years) use of a plinker 22 lr.

Regards to all,

Don

P.S. The original post was looking for a cheaper priced scope. If BOTH price and quality
are involved, I'd still take the Sightron. I've been eyeing the new Sightron 3X9X36 AO rimfire/airgun scope. But at $500.00+ it isn't cheap!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I've been told that the VX-1 now has the same glass coatings that the VX-II used to have and the VX-II now has the same coatings that the VX-III used to have and the VX-III now has something even better than ever. If you look at the specs. of now and those of a few years back, I think you will find that to be true.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote