Find
Notify
Tools

Kassel optik
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted 21 February 2006 05:37
While in Namibia my wife used the PH's very worn Brno to take several head of game. And fell in love with it. A Schmidt&Bender 4X12 sat on top.

At a gun show this week end I picked up a Brno 06 with a Straight single set trigger and a 6X46 Hertel & Ruess ,Kassel optic (Macco).TYhe scope has a built in rail system. The scope seems to be of good quality, very clear. It has a heavy post and cross bar. Its all in good shape, stock needs a coat of finish, just a couple of scratches on the barrel and scope. What are they worth. I know the brno was a good find,what about the scope?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great scope! Those suckers were expensive as hell back in the early 1980’s when they were still being made. Top quality glass, very high end scopes.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J D,

You picked up a great combo IMO. The Brno's are all solid shooters. Their old straight set triggers can be a matter of taste, as they aren't the most esthetically pleasing trigger around but they function very well. The rifles themselves are made on a robust Mauser system. The optic is also first-class.

Hertel & Ruess scopes are no longer being made under their brand name; the line has been consolidated into the Gerhardt Groups optics and they are manufacturing and direct marketing their scopes under the Nickel name.

Hertel & Ruess were outstanding scopes with a solid reputation for optical quality with some rather unusual for European size scope tubes. Nickel's current offerings are all now made to pretty much the size norm offered today by most of the major manufacturers, 36mm, 42mm and 56mm objective lenses.

The European Rails are a very good mounting system, eliminating rings and orginally the concept was developed to afford mounting flexibility on Combination Rifles.

The heavy Post & Crossbar typical of the German #1 recticle for nighttime use.

The Gerhardt Group and the Nickel AG web sites specifically state they service Hertel & Ruess scopes.

Try a search for Gerhardt-Optik and Nickel AG for their web sites, they are English language enabled also.

Have fun with your new boomer!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the older top end scopes are every bit as good as the top of the line scopes being made today. Most of them just lack all the silly bells and whistles...which for me is a huge plus in their favor! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for thr reply.Now for the sweet part
I got the combo for 375.00.
It was a deal of the year

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great deal. thumb

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote