THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes extended rings for weaver bases ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the old weaver extended rings on my 1917 Enfield 333 okh Elmer Keith rifle .They will not me mount.any scope on it unless the scope body is 6 inches .My Nikon are all around 5.5 inches unless in turn the rings around then the rifle is two foot off at 10 yards.It's straight turned the other way .I.either have to get different rings or different scope hopefully the rings ! I.don't like those old weavers with the clip on rings they mar the heck out of a scope and are ugly as sin !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the solution lies in the bases, instead. Many bases for Weaver-type cross lock rings are drilled with the ring slot offset fore or aft of the mounting holes. By turning the base the opposite direction the distance between the rings can be made shorter or longer.

Also, the aluminum Weaver bases are easy to drill additional mounting holes in, so you can modify them to sit further forward/aft by drilling new mounting holes. A third alternative is to cut a new ring slot, which also isn't that hard to do with common metal working tools.

A fourth suggestion: Since your Enfield would have been custom drilled and tapped to begin with it is impossible to say what set of bases you have on it. There may be a different base or bases which will fit that place the rings closer together. Try looking at a well-stocked gun shop.

I agree with you on Weaver rings. I like either Burris Z-rings or MilletT Angleloc rings on Weaver bases. The Milletts, at least, are available in an extension ring, plus they are windage adjustable. http://www.millettsights.com/d...ett_catalog_2010.pdf

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.like the Burris signature rings best of all .The bases are slotted in the middle no turning them around .I want a good Nikon on this rifle so I can shoot it long range .It has a 25 inch heavy barrel .I wish I could get a one piece base made that would be awesome if it ejects good .It's probably too hard load with a one piece mount .I will ask my gunsmith if he has any mounts .That extended mount must be crooked to turn around and be that crooked .I hope I can get it to fit right so a good Nikon is on. Top so I can hunt with it the rest of my.life .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
1 piece

https://www.brownells.com/opti...bases-prod12461.aspx

Weaver style
S&K 794-001-017WB
1917 Enfield P14 or P17 (Weaver)

Mfr Part: 1270

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote