THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Bushnell 4200 8-32 opinions please for long range shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell 4200 8-32 opinions please for long range shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at the Bushnell 4200 8-32 for my .308 heavy barrel gun.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=566087

This will be used for shooting at target ranges up to 600 yards - mostly at 600. Occassionaly for an F Class match, occassionaly for 600-1000 yard longer range varmints.

I had a Leupold 8.5-25 LR that I really liked
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=620184

But am now using that on another gun. So how would the 2 compare? I like the side focus of the Leupold, and I usually have the power cranked up. Is the 32x power on the 4200 nice and crisp? How is mirage at high power on the 4200?

Are the windage and elevation adjustments easy on the 4200?

Any help is appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Halvey,

The Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 is a very nice scope. The only bad thing is lack of adjustments with only 26 MOA. Most people need to add the long range base to get out those distances. The glass is very nice and is not bad at all on higher powers.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway is alittle pricy on the Bushnell. Here is a price from a place called SkyOptics.com

A little better price if your looking for one.

Bushnell Elite 4200, 8-32x40mm, Matte, Multi-X Reticle, A/O, Sunshade, Semi-Target Turrets
Code: 001-42-8324m
Price: $432.10
Quantity in Basket: none .

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Jon above isn't real pushy with his gear.

He has the scope for $425.

Nice to do business with as well.

As Jon says, only negative is 26 moa of adjustment.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After further consideration, I think I'd put my Leupold 8.5-25 on my .308 and use the Bushnell on my .223 varmint gun.

Think the 26 MOA would be enough?

I am currently taking shots at 300 with the .223 and could probably do a bit more. Using a 1:12 twist with 50 gr vmax if that matters...

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have the 8-32 Buschnell scope and it is indeed optically excellent (even at the top end of its magnification -- I am always foiled by mirage before I run out of magnification clarity! Frowner

I can also say it is a tough scope -- it is my scope for range-testing loads on my lighweight .358 Norma Mag (which kicks worse than my .375 H&H). No problems in many rounds!

I would recommend the 8-32 Bushnell in a set of Burris Signature rings which is what I have. Great clamping ability so no slipping, and with the availability of different excentric inserts for about 10 bucks, you can easily get a scope zeroed at any range even with a scope with limited internal adjustments.

I think I have a +.10 which allows me to zero my .358 Norma at 600 yards without running out of internal adjustments. This overcomes what I consider the only Achilles heel of this scope.

cheers from Sweden,

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote