Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for 6-24X scope on a budget
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
Here's the situation. I'm looking for a 6-24X scope w/ mil-dot reticle to be used on a guest/back up gun in 223 Rem for prairie dog hunts. I'm well aware that there'll be some limitations, but I'd like to spend less than $300. I already have a very little used Simmons "44 Mag" 6.5-20X that's about 10 years old, but I hoped to equal or better that w/ a new scope. I had settled on the Nitrex TR1, but it was not in stock at Natchez. They responded to my email indicating it had been discontinued by the manufacturer and they didn't know it they get any more. I'm avoiding Barska, Osprey, Swift, Nikko, Konus, Bushnell Banner and Tasco. I guess that leaves the Vortex Crossfire, newly manufactured Simmons, Weaver 44/40 and the BSA Tactical. In general, I'm leary of the BSA, but I've read some promising reviews about the Tactical line, although customer support still seems suspect. Can I better my old "44 Mag" w/ any of the above mentioned scopes or one I've not mentioned? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the vortex scopes i have are all pretty good things, also you might try going to natchez & look up the close out on the weaver nitrex. heavier than vortex, but good quality scope

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Hawke 6x24 with a illuminated Mil-Dot.

I forgot what it goes for, but it is actually pretty nice.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I believe I just saw the Vortex Crossfire at Sportsman's Guide for under $200. Better check quick.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For inexpensive optics which are surprisingly upper quality units for the bucks ,it's hard to beat Simmons .Look at New Predator Quest .

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/r...s/Predator_Quest.cfm

I own a few different Simmons including # 2 of their Atec Master Series . I've punished them without mercy and still hold zero with clear field of vision . Can't really ask for more than that .

FYI ; I did a stint of optics evaluation a bit ago ,for a contracting outfit . It's surprising what works and what doesn't . Not everyone
can afford Zeiss Swarovski Nightforce Leupold S&B IOR Nikon and so forth . Some of the stuff on the market isn't suitable for youths .22 target practice .

salute

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote