THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Does Leupold have any plans for Range Finding binoculars?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Leupold have any plans for Range Finding binoculars?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering? Vortex has just released a new model and Bushnell, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica have had them our for awhile....is Leupold falling behind?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold offered a ranging binocular several years ago. I don't think it is still in their current line-up however, which says something about the utility of such instruments. Rube Goldberg would be very disappointed.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the original Leupold RF binoculars, and was not in love with it. Made in China, very bulky, interpupillary distance adjusted by a telescoping/sliding system which felt cheap. As a rangefinding instrument it worked well enough for me; I think it was rated to 800 yards but in reality it was good to about 600, which was quite sufficient for my purposes. It ate batteries at an unbelievable rate.

Leupold dropped it and then introduced one (or perhaps more) improved version, but I never used or even held one. I haven't owned another combination binoc/RF unit of any description since, and doubt I will ever buy another, regardless of manufacturer. Optics technology seems to improve much more slowly than electronics; it seems foolish to buy a top-of-the-line combo unit, which will remain near the optical cutting edge for many years but whose electronics will be obsolete very soon after purchase.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I keep them separated, and actually don't use the range finder much. Based on the system I use for sighting in a hunting rifle I don't really need a range finder I don't guess, since I carry it but never take time to use it and don't take shot beyond 400 yards as a rule. I do like binocs however. Id rather have iron sights and binocs than a scoped rifle with no binocs, but a scope and binocs backed by irons is the ideal NA hunting setup for sure, and just as good for Africa.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote