Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from the Shot Show
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,
I got back from the Shot Show a few hours ago. Yes, it was worth the trip.
I saw a few very worthwhile new additions to the Wonderful World of Optics Cool

In no particular order (I am extremely sleep deprived as I am typing this so bear with me)

Nikon's new Trailblazer Waterproof ATB Binocular in 8x42 and 10x50. Nice roof prism binocular, waterproof (it's right there in the name) smooth focus, nice and crisp (No, not a best in show, but I would say best in or near its price point) @ less than $200.00, which is awesome for a quality roof prism.

The Zeiss Classic Riflescopes and their new RapidZ Ballistic Reticles. Zeiss also showed the new DC4 Digiscope eyepiece for their Spotting Scopes. Very cool Cool It is an all in one eyepiece and digital camera. Takes all the setup and complications out of Digiscoping. Remove your existing eyepiece and replace it with this DC4 and you are ready to take pictures. Way cool. (Keep in mind I am a camera gearhead)

*IMO, Best at Show* Swarovski Z6 Riflescopes. Wow. Sharp as all get out, bright, even clarity edge to edge and 6x zoom. Not a bad thing to say about it unless we start talking price and if you expected it to not be at the basic "I am looking at a Swarovski" price point then just skip on to the next mfg Roll Eyes.
1-6x24
1.7-10x42 (Splendid)
2-12x50
$1449.00 - $1769.00
Also available with mounting rail and also in illuminated versions (of course for more money Eeker

Pentax has a new binocular that they put out to compete with the Euros. It is their DCF ED series. Nice, very nice as a matter of fact. I'll have to do some stack tests when they come in, but after looking thru them at the show I ordered a bunch. Great higher end glass without crashing thru the $1000.00 mark Smiler.
They also showed the new PF63 Zoom Spotting Scope. A welcome addition to the world of spotting scopes. A waterproof and nitrogen filled body with a very handy side focus knob for very user friendly focusing and it zooms from 20x-50x, with a full rubber armoring and under $350.00. This definitely fills a void that has been in the scope market. dancing

I had a chance to spend some time over at the Vortex booth playing with their offerings. They had some worthwhile glass at very favorable prices. I looked for rugged build, smooth focus, edge to edge sharpness and how they felt in my hands. Overall I think they are trying hard to become a player and are under pricing their line in order to make it more appealing. More to come on them.

Leica has introduced the CRF 900. Looks and acts just as the CRF 1200 but with less distance and a bit smaller price tag. Those of you who want the best small (put it in your pocket) laser rangefinder that is truly waterproof, not just water resistant can now choose the CRF 1200 or if you don't need that much distance save a couple of bucks and go with the CRF 900.

I am looking forward to the next week or two as I expect to be getting huge shipments of demo/samples arriving from this show. As they come in I will post them here as we always do.

If I can answer anything for anyone just let me know.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for the report. It is appreciated! Did Leica have riflescopes? I have been told there is such a thing, and they might have them at the show, I've never seen a Leica riflescope or heard from a really credible source that there was such a beast, just heard it here and there.

More about the Zeiss stuff????

Thanks again Doug---Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I'm back too... <whew>... What a trip... I can't imagine how you do it. You have all those contacts to make and all those people to talk to and I just walked the show and evaluated (as much as possible) all the new products I was interested in.

I'm exhausted and will take days to get back to normal. Sorry I missed you. Your "free lunch" is on rain check status... beer

Swarovski really seemed to steal the show (pun intended) with their new new Z6 line.

My favorite was the 2-12 scope. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.

Edge to edge clarity was excellent and I checked it at 2x, 6x, and 12x and it was STILL good.

Zoom was smooth and easy to use, even with the rifle in the ready position. I used my left hand to rotate the zoom ring and was able to have a minimum of shake and no tight spots in the range with minimal effort needed.

Clarity and light transmission seemed to be quite good too. As you well know the flat black ceiling of the Convention Center gives you a fairly good place to evaluate clarity in reduced light situations.

The biggest news was that Swarovski somehow engineered this scope to require absolutely minimal focus adjustment when zooming. I was sure that this would be it's Achiles heel and I was pleasantly surprized. I carefully focused on an object at about 100yds at 2 power and then rotated the focus ring slowly all the way to the maximum 12x setting stopping several times along the way. Incredibly focus stayed very constant and required little if any adjustment.

It doesn't seem possible that Swarovski could have done this but they quite simply did!

All in all I was VERY impressed with this scope and can will buy one as soon as I sell some of my older glass.

I saw some of the other stuff you saw and wasn't paying as close attention as you obviously did but I also noticed that Pentax ED glass has helped Pentax keep their "best value" status in binoculars. Incredible price point and quite good glass for waaaay less than their competition. I've moved on to more expensive optics but still marvel at Pentax's ability to provide such a great value in binoculars.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
How can you give a report on optics at the Shot Show & leave out NightForce, it was all I could do to leave there booth.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Yep... The Nightforce booth was incredibly interesting and I agree that it was VERY hard to leave their booth.

I think that since Doug doesn't carry Nightforce (I think) he didn't have the time and I didn't mention them because I'm primarily a hunter and their scopes tend to be more oriented to the target and tactical shooter. (Am I right?)

I'm not nearly as well versed on their line as some of the others so if I've blundered go easy on me... Big Grin

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
How can you give a report on optics at the Shot Show & leave out NightForce, it was all I could do to leave there booth.

It was all I could manage in the two days I was there to meet with all of the people I had appointments with. As I am not a dealer for NightForce it was on my "If I still have time left over" list. Unfortunately, I had less than no time left over. I made it to my Friday afternoon meetings on Saturday Confused

I guess this means I will have to make sure I get to the show next year. Vegas SuperBowl weekend. I guess I could think of worse things dancing

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Bob, No harm ment, it was my first chance to really look through & hold a NightForce & I was impressed but still on the fence as to what to put on a new rifle I have in the safe. They are pretty proud of them ($$) & the fact that I have to tear it apart to increase or decrease the illumination bothers me.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote