New
Find
Notify
Tools

redfield 6x
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old redfield widefield fixed 6X rifle scope. Duplex reticle-ring marks but not really bad. a little wear around the edge, but VEERY little-looks like it sat in a gun safe for 20-30 years. There is an ever so slight yellow tint, but both my wife and I only notice it when comparing it to the older leupold m8 6x scope we have. Tossing around the idea of selling or putting it on my Ruger #1 7x57 OR maybe my 788 358 win. The long tube will allow it to go on the #1 ( I have found that I either have to go with 2-7 or fixed 4x or 6x leupolds 'cause of the long eye relief or the steel tube redfield and weaver scope 'cause they have such long tubes for my #1's) but it looks good on the 358 win, I just don't know if it offers enough distance between the eye piece and my eyebrow!!

So, any thoughts on the value? and am I over thinking this?

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
That old Redfield is best reserved for an application that requires a really long scope tube (something like a BRNO or CZ magnum action). The Widefield feature makes it a little less desirable than the standard eyepiece for most potential buyers. I would guess that in great condition, it might top out around $100; on some days it might not quite bring that. But it's a good scope and will likely serve you dependably in most applications.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F N laptop

Once again,

Brother Dave,

We had Rawhides 1B 280 with 6x Redfield at range today. Both of us were crawling the stock to get eye relief. Searched 24HCF to find a better scope combo. No. 1 and 6x Redfield are not ideal combo, IMHO. If you know anybody looking for one, PM me.

Blair

Posts: 58 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote