Find
Notify
Tools

LEICA CUSTOMER (NON) SERVICE!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Sent in my Geovids (again) for repair. Loose piece of rubber inside one of the lenses. Received a "no charge" bill via email a week after they received it with no estimate of turn around time. FOUR emails and three phone calls (all went either to voice mail or was disconnected three times on hold). I realize they are in obnoxious land (AKA New Jersey) but this is outrageous. Anybody have he secret handshake with these people? J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Jorge, that's been my experience with a few of other optics companies based in Europe but with contract USA support - Kahles, Zeiss, and Swarovski. The few times I have sent stuff to those companies my optic went to Europe, was repaired beyond expectation, and then returned to the contractor and, eventually, back to me. But getting updates and contacting the USA centers was more than a little difficult.

I would guess the long turn around time has something to do with USA processing, awaiting return authorization to ship to Europe, shipping to Europe, processing at the factory, performing the repair, processing for return from overseas, shipment back to the USA center, processing in the USA, and final shipment to the customer. The actual repair probably takes an hour or two at most.

Nevertheless, for me, the end result was well worth the wait.

I suggest you, as ex-military, equate it to sending something like a REQUEST FOR EXCEPTION TO POLICY from the commander of a small unit, thru his command, thru the next command, thru the higher command, thru the command of the approving authority, and to the approving authority. Then approved or disapproved, it retraces its steps and comes back down to the originator. Of course, it gets a written endorsement recommending approval or disapproval at each step of the way up and often each step writes and attaches congratulatory or other comments on the way back down. It takes several weeks just to get the approval authority's two minute review and a simple ....IS APPROVED or ....IS NOT-APPROVED.

"Secret handshake"? The only thing to speed the process up in the military is "walking it through". It's not worth it to try that with Leica.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Sent in my Geovids (again) for repair. Loose piece of rubber inside one of the lenses. Received a "no charge" bill via email a week after they received it with no estimate of turn around time. FOUR emails and three phone calls (all went either to voice mail or was disconnected three times on hold). I realize they are in obnoxious land (AKA New Jersey) but this is outrageous. Anybody have he secret handshake with these people? J

Jorge, my experience is the same as yours...including the rude lady in New Jersey!
I think that her name was "Roxanne"

I saw a bit of condensation in my right tube so I sent them in. When I called they told me it was a $750 repair that would take 4 Months because they had to go back to Austria!

She wouldn't budge with price!

I will NEVER EVER buy an Leica product again!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I will add that, even though the optics in high end brands like Leica and Swarovski are noticeably better than in the lesser brands, I started buying Leupold a few years ago. The optics in Leupold's higher end offerings are very good, they are covered by a lifetime warranty, they can be repaired in short order, and the people who answer the phone are polite and helpful.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G, Swarovski has great CS and so does Vortex. I am totally switched over to both for all my guns.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold wrote the book on customer service a long time ago. Swaro and a few others followed suit. Leica, unfortunately, is clueless with regards to marketing, customer service, and being competitive in a competitive USA market. No wonder Swaro is kicking their asses.

I agree with Grenadier too. A Leupold VX6 and Gold Ring HD binocular will do any and everything a guy needs to do in the field, IMO. There will never be a question as to whether Leupold will take care of you or not.

I had owned a Leupy 1000i rangefinder for almost 4 years when one day I discovered half of the LED display was dimmer than the other half. I sent it in and got a brand new 1200i TBR at no charge, in spite of L's 2 yr electronic warranty.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
For the price and no bullshit service of several other companies, it's hard to dump a wad of cash in the lap of someone who will forget your name when the door slams...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What town in NJ?

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge: Pretty much the same experience for me, I brought a friends Leica binos home from SA last year...loose eyepieces, sent them in first week of December. After two months I started calling and emailing (the product serial number is a tracking number that can be entered on their website and the site always said "no record found". I finally spoke with a lady (Leopardtrack has the name right) that wasn't rude but wasn't too helpful either, explaining Leica was rolling out SAP and training was taking most of her time, but she could find no record of the binos in their system. After that, all of my emails got an autoreply that she was out of the office for SAP training, this went on for about 45 days and finally in mid June, I sent her an email asking for the email address or phone number of another department that might be able to help me and the bino's arrived that very day, repaired, but their system still showed no records found. I've had much better luck with Zeiss customer service.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2821 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
karl - that sounds pretty much like the experience i had with a set of binos . all of a sudden the barrels were pointing in different directions. I got the same tune that they couldn't find any record of them. They did offer to repair them for a 200 minimum. Instead while i was looking them over i grabbed and twisted and they popped back into place.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the powers that be at Leica will see this.

For now, I am totally finished with Leica.

Protest with your wallet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, PM me your email so we can exchange your information. I will go to Leica office and get answers for you. If I have the address correct I live 15 minutes from Allendale. My father owns a two family house in Allendale and know the town well.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Jorge, PM me your email so we can exchange your information. I will go to Leica office and get answers for you. If I have the address correct I live 15 minutes from Allendale. My father owns a two family house in Allendale and know the town well.

Good Luck and let us know how it goesSmiler

The lady's name is Roxanne. When I went through my ordeal, I even offered to drop them off in person since I live only 1/2 hour away in NYC but she said that "It wouldn't help."

Good Luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the education on Leica. I have been looking at them and Swaro for an additional set of binocs.
Leica ain't going to happen.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica quit happening for me in 2007 when they stiffed me big time on the warranty of a LRF rangefinder. They have had a pair of Geovids of a friend of mine for over six months as we speak. This is not new or unique behavior on the part of Leica.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a couple of pairs of Leica Binos, good glass, and luckily I haven't had any problems with them, but after reading this thread Leica is off the table for anything. Life is too short to have to live with such after sales service. In this age of electronic information sharing, I predict Leica USA will not be successful. They probably do a much better job in their home country.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I own a couple of pairs of Leica Binos, good glass, and luckily I haven't had any problems with them, but after reading this thread Leica is off the table for anything. Life is too short to have to live with such after sales service. In this age of electronic information sharing, I predict Leica USA will not be successful. They probably do a much better job in their home country.

It's a shame Gato, because they do make a top quality product!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents, appreciate all the comments, suggestions and offers to help. Thankfully, Doug from Cameraland NY stepped in and resolved the issue for me. The binos are scheduled to be delivered today. No charge. I will report back.

Post Script: this past Friday, AFTER Doug had un-dicked the situation, that Roxanne Lady sent me an email telling me she was forwarding my FIVE emails to customer service for attention! How FUBAR is that! But wait, it gets worse, then a phone call on Monday (they were already en route to me!) another woman called and asked me what was the problem with the CAMERA and to gove her the repair # to see if she could help. Completely shocked that a German outfit would let this happen. One thing is for sure, I am OUT of the Leica "bidness"!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my Swarovski binos back for repairs (damaged) around 2 weeks ago. Have received notification that they have been repaired & are on their way back to me. Everyone I had contact with was extremely helpful & polite.
Sent a pair of Meoptas back about a week before leaving for Zim. in 2011. Since there was no way they could get them repaired & back to me before we left, they just sent me a new pair. Can't get any better than that & if I remember correctly they were located in New Jersey. The gentleman I spoke with was exceptional at customer service.
I have also had to send some Leopold optics back for repairs a few times. Absolutely outstanding service.
Sorry you had problems, but so far I have been treated very well in each instance.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
First and foremost, another "Bravo Zulu" (as we say in the Navy for a job well done) to Doug. My binoculars came today, 2nd Day Air from Leica after Doug stepped in by talking to the president of Leica USA. Well, apparently they don't have a very good quality assurance program. The rubber insulation was removed from the left barrel sure enough, but now the DIOPTER on the right side would not focus. To say I was livid is an understatement.

On the phone back with Neil and Doug and they put men hold. Neil says "how would you like a brand new pair of the latest LEICAS- GRATIS- Yes I SAID GRATIS. I just need to send them my offed-up binos so they can take the matter up with them.

Gents, this largess from Doug has got to be the most incredible gesture of over-the-top customer service I have ever seen. Keep in mind my Leicas were over ten years old. I'm simply overwhelmed. Anybody here that's in the marker for optics should without a doubt, give your business to Doug and the Camera Land Lads!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, first of all, GOOD FOR YOU! I'm glad to see that your saga had a great outcome.

As far as Leica is concerned....STILL NO WAY I am ever buying Leica again.
This happy ending has NOTHING to do with Leica. If it wasn't for Doug's intervention on your part you would have been out of luck like the rest of us.

The way I see it, Doug's customer service was outstanding. Leica's?? well...it took Doug talking to the President of Leica to make something happen.

How about all the rest of the people out there who got shafted?

Again Jorge, good for you! Awesome job by Doug, and hopefully will some day get the message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jorge that we need to buy our optics from Doug. He and Cameraland are stand up folks. That is why I buy my Vortex optics from him. I have been through with Leica since 2007.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bill, how are the VORTEX products working out for you?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
As expected, Doug and Cameraland NY came through:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge--The Vortex optics I have purchased have given really good service. My 10x42 Razor bins circa 2007 have been flawless, and are far more glass than most people have or need.

My 6x30 Vipers are amazingly clear and sharp and have been perfect for the five years I have had them. I picked up a pair of 10x42 Diamondbacks from Doug about six months ago--he had them on sale for $159. That is not a mis print. One hundred fifty nine dollars. This is about as good as a knock around truck binocular as you are likely to see, and I couldn't pass it up.

Then there is the Vortex Ranger 100 rangefinder. It has glass that is equal to my Leica CRF and runs dead even with the Leica to 1185 yards, which is as far as I have tried them side by side. The Vortex also has an angle compensating feature that the Leica doesn't, and at $340 it is an exceptional buy.

I have a 3x9 Vortex Crossfire on a 30-06, and it is clear and sharp and I have no complaints. The rifle/scope combo shoot under an inch with milsurp ammo.

I can't comment on the Vortex warranty, as I have never had to use it, but it is noteworthy that the lifetime transferable no bs warranty is on all Vortex products, including the rangefinder.

Basically, you can say that if all my other stuff worked as well as my Vortex optics, things would be hard to improve upon.

posted Hide Post
Comparing Leica to Vortex is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Dodge Dart.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Comparing Leica to Vortex is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Dodge Dart.

George
popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What good is the Porsche if it breaks and you can't get it serviced?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. You're not the only one that has spoken well of Vortex products. J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
What good is the Porsche if it breaks and you can't get it serviced?

What good is a Vortex if it won't resolve an animal adequately enough to see it, let alone judge it?

I'm not talking about the .01% of the time it is out of action; I'm talking about the other 99.99% of the time.

There's no excuse for the piss-poor customer service Jorge received; a strongly-worded letter to the head of Leica-USA is definitely in order.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
George: Doug at Cameraland stepped in to help and he forwarded my concerns to Leica and between them, they agreed to replace the binos. Good on Leica, but I can tell you without reservation, had it not been for Doug, I'd still be wrestling with this issue. J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Jorge, I did read that and am glad Doug intervened.

It should not have been necessary.

I've owned my Leica binos since 1997, and hope they never need service.

But if they did, I'd like to think that Leica's CEO has addressed the massive customer service failures you and others have mentioned by that time.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George--I have had no trouble whatever resolving or judging any animal I needed to with my Vortex equipment. In 2009, my PH in RSA was impressed with a set of Vortex Diamondbacks that I had carried over there to the extent that I left them with him. I don't know what your issue is with Vortex, but they are far from being inferior equipment--and the company stands behind their product.

posted Hide Post
I'm glad they work for you.

I don't "have a problem" with Vortex, but:

1. I don't buy hunting optics from China.
2. I don't ever confuse "good" with "good enough".

George

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Jorge, I did read that and am glad Doug intervened.

It should not have been necessary.

I've owned my Leica binos since 1997, and hope they never need service.

But if they did, I'd like to think that Leica's CEO has addressed the massive customer service failures you and others have mentioned by that time.

George

I will keep everyone informed if I get feedback from Doug. These are superb binos, but I was really disappointed I had to send them back twice for repair.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem for me with Vortex is that there are no really standout products in their respective price range. For instance, the razor binocualars are great, but at $1200 or less I can get an equally great MeoptaHD, Conquest HD, or the new Tract Toric HD, all for less money. The Vortex Razor 85mm spotter is excellent, but for the same money I can get a Meopta Meopro which is just as good. For the price of the diamondack binoculars (yes I owned the 8x42), there are equally good optics in numerous places, all Chinese as well. None of their hunting scopes appeal to me whatsoever, but I'm a simple duplex reticle guy, so Leupy VX3, VX3i, Conquests, or Meopta Meopros are better for the same money. The only real standout I see is the Viper Hd binocular at near $600 has great glass but average build quality. My 8x32HD's eyecups wouldn't stay put, and eye relief was inadequate.

They do a great job with warranty and customer service work though.

GeorgeS, I'm in several G&O (guide and outfitter) programs, including Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro, And Meopta. I visited with Leica on several different occasions at DSC and, putting it nicely, they are a clueless bunch of guys, and blame all shortcomings-pathetic warranty and customer service- on their Euro management team. No wonder Swaro is kicking their assses in the field.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I've been getting along with cheap Nikon and Buschnell
Thing is, within couple hundred yards, it's all good, besides if you can't see it, get closer
When it comes to hunting, getting in for closer look has worked for me for long time
Anyway, are you guys bird watchers or something?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote