Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

I need some help. I just discovered an old scope. The story is that I had this scope put on an old .22 LR, a single shot Springfield, way back in 1977 or 78. Shortly thereafter I left for the US and the rifle and scope lay around, not particularly taken care of...rifle barrel, receiver etc quite rusted but the bore is clean!! Guess all the lead in it.

In any case, as I said it has a scope on it. Its a 2.5X scope with a German #1 reticle and is absolutely clear to look through. Amazed me.The markings on the scope are:
Supra Gazell ( and there is an etching of a gazelle jumping above this)
2.5x64 (Yes that is what it says)
D=20
No*17664

On the opposite side it says "Patented".

Can't find any other markings.

Could anyone please help me identify this? Thanks much

Saeed

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM..

The scope is a gearhart Nickel Supra 2.5x64 made for the African trade and big bore rifles for the most part thus the Gazell markings. the company went into bankruptsy in 1980. Never was very popular in the USA probably because of price would be my guess.

Quality wise its one of the best scopes ever made lens wise Im told..and quality is as good or better than any of todays high dollar European scopes..

I suspect that with the outside properly refinished it would be worth a couple of grand to those who cherish these old scopes, they seem to be radicalized on them!! Also it would look real neat on a custom big bore, and you could see a herd of elephant through that x64 scope..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Atkinson is probably right, though the shape and placement of the brand is unlike any other Nickel I've seen.

I assume it has a steel 26mm barrel, which suggests that D = 20 refers to the objective diameter. Ergo 20 divided by 2.5 = 8 (the exit pupil diameter in mm); the square of 8 is 64, which is the relative luminosity - a comparative number lacking real meaning because lenses tend to be round rather than square Smiler

If the serial number runs along with other Nickels, if would seem quite early. It may not, however, as I have one Supra marked Nr. 1 yet have seen other models that looked more primative.

As to the state of your .22 barrel, it is marvellous how forgiving lubricated lead can be.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your help and advice. Ray, I am trying to get the damn scope off the rifle...grrrrr...its a side mount and quite jammed...let me get it off and take some better pictures and go from there.
Thank you very very much
Saeed

Ray,
I will try to, very very gently, clean up the outside of the scope once I get it off. Not qualified to do anything else. I am going to put this on the optics forum and see if I get any suggestions regarding the cleaning bit. Thank you very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambharman338,

It does have a steel barrel, 26 mm Cool

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Esskay,
in case you want to buy another one, have a look on ebay. I have bought more than two dozen old German scopes there, for an average of maybe $200. Nickels of that size come up quite often but most are either of dural, with mounting rails, or steel with claw mounts soldered on.

Because both types are hard to re-use, the ones to watch for are the clean steel ones with no soldered-on mounts - you often have to pay more for them, though.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esskay:
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your help and advice. Ray, I am trying to get the damn scope off the rifle...grrrrr...its a side mount and quite jammed...let me get it off and take some better pictures and go from there.
Thank you very very much
Saeed

Ray,
I will try to, very very gently, clean up the outside of the scope once I get it off. Not qualified to do anything else. I am going to put this on the optics forum and see if I get any suggestions regarding the cleaning bit. Thank you very much.

Soak that sucker down with Kroil for a day or two. I bet those screws will loosen up.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing that bothers me about this scope is the eyepiece is apparently Aluminum, and the scope tube must be steel..One wonders if some interprising young Dubian had some parts laying around the casa! Need to find a picture of the same scope to compare..It could easily be a parts scope and of no value what so ever. Also the pitting is quite deep and rusted out but if the tube is steel, it could be turned in a lathe and cleaned up perhaps..It would be an interesting project for a scope repair service.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote