Find
Notify
Tools

Euro vrs Leupold "Eyeboxes"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I'm looking for a scope to go on a custom Mauser Kurz 250-3000 that will be my "go-to" mountain rifle, so I want light and compact. Currenly I'm leaning towards a straight 4x rather than a varipower. I do want it to have an objective bell for no other reason than "it looks right to me".

Down here at our end on NZ I can try most Leupold models. However apart from Kahles no local retailers stock the Euro's, and certainly no 4x models.

One feature of Leaupolds generally is the degree of freedom of the eyebox. I don't know if this is the right term but to me it means that you have some flexibility as to where you place your eye within the eye relief (of which I don't need much for a 250-3000). This feature is pretty usefull for our NZ style of hunting where many opportinies have to be taken offhand, usually at a difficult up or downhill angle.

Can anyone tell me if the current range of euro scopes (S & B, Swaro, Zeiss or other top end scopes) are different in respect to the eyebox from Leupold's ?

Thanks - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are actually talking about TWO issues:

One is the eye relief and the other is the range in which the eye relief is effective.

Leupold had indeed a longer eye relief (9-10cm) than European scopes (8cm) until about 6 years ago. The current Euro models now also have an extended eye relief of >9cm.

When it comes to "how picky is my scope with regard to the nominal eye relief", Leupold scopes have always beem on the low end. You really have to get your pupil positioned exactly right. The European scopes are much more liberal in this respect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To the contrary!

European scopes tend to require very precise eye placement, both fore-and-aft and laterally. This limited eye placement is necessary in order to optimize field of view and in order to keep eye relief constant over the range of magnification in a variable.

Leupold's hunting scopes sacrifice both a bit of field of view and constancy of eye relief in order to make the "eye box", as you term it, much larger.

These are unavoidable optical trade-offs -- you can't have both long eye relief and the widest field of view. Similarly, you can't have a long/wide field of eye placement if you optimize field of view.

The larger "eye box" is not particularly important on target scopes or other optical gunsights that are used from a fixed position. However, the forgiving "eye box" is very important on hunting rifles which are used in a variety of positions, many of which place your eye in a somewhat awkward and different position than it might be if your rifle is held in a more conventinal stance.

Unless you are able to look through a European model scope actually mounted on a rifle to compare it, then always assume that the Leupold "eye box" will provide you significantly more eye placement latitude.

I had to bite my cheek to avoid laughing aloud at a "better than the Joneses" type of guy who insisted on ordering a new Zeiss to replace the old Leupold on his rifle from our local dealer. The dealer mounted it for him and handed him the rifle, for him to look out the store window through his new, expensive scope. He must have searched -- head high, head low, neck extended, neck retracted -- for about 15 seconds before finding anything but black in the sight picture.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only used a couple of Zeis and Swaro scopes, but plenty of Leupolds. I call baloney to the idea that Leupolds require a more precise eye position. Their flexibility in this regard is the main reason I now have them on all but a couple of my rifles. The price and durability isn't bad either.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Ive had a lot of European scopes...mainly older ones which came on rifles from Rigby, H&H, (those were mainly Zeiss), etc. My favourites were the Meoptas. For hunting rifles, I preferred their 2-1/2 power scopes with no objective "bell".

These days I like the low fixed-power Leupolds...mainly the lowest power ones with no objective "bell" for my hunting rifes (even for antelope), though I also find the 2-7X lightweights handy on some rifles. Anyway, within the power limitations I prefer, I never found Leupold scopes to have unhandy eye "boxes"...which to me refers to a lot more than just eye "relief".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1; This has been my experience as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
To the contrary!

European scopes tend to require very precise eye placement, both fore-and-aft and laterally. This limited eye placement is necessary in order to optimize field of view and in order to keep eye relief constant over the range of magnification in a variable.

Leupold's hunting scopes sacrifice both a bit of field of view and constancy of eye relief in order to make the "eye box", as you term it, much larger.

These are unavoidable optical trade-offs -- you can't have both long eye relief and the widest field of view. Similarly, you can't have a long/wide field of eye placement if you optimize field of view.

The larger "eye box" is not particularly important on target scopes or other optical gunsights that are used from a fixed position. However, the forgiving "eye box" is very important on hunting rifles which are used in a variety of positions, many of which place your eye in a somewhat awkward and different position than it might be if your rifle is held in a more conventinal stance.

Unless you are able to look through a European model scope actually mounted on a rifle to compare it, then always assume that the Leupold "eye box" will provide you significantly more eye placement latitude.

I had to bite my cheek to avoid laughing aloud at a "better than the Joneses" type of guy who insisted on ordering a new Zeiss to replace the old Leupold on his rifle from our local dealer. The dealer mounted it for him and handed him the rifle, for him to look out the store window through his new, expensive scope. He must have searched -- head high, head low, neck extended, neck retracted -- for about 15 seconds before finding anything but black in the sight picture.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote