Notify
Tools

help with scope decision
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted
Hello

I am shooting a 300 win mag with all the goodies. I am stuck on which scope to put on the rifle. At this time I am comfortable shooting 400 yds with it, but I am slowly shooting greater distances. The gun is now equipped with a 3.3x10 Monarch. I need more scope but I can decide between a Nightforce , or a Leupold.

I cant justify to myself spending another 500 on a nightforce. When leupold's are great scopes.

or does anyone have another suggestions for me , or opinions All will be appreciated

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are fine scopes. Go with Leupold and don't look back.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a laser range finder and carry data on drop, drift and game movement?

The news was the scan 1200 by Leica LRF but now they say the new CRF is even better.

I use the free site JBM ballistics.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a hard look at the Leupold 3.5-10 LR M3.

The one with the Ballistic cam.
I have this scope on my 300 Win Mag.

You use a laser to determine the range, then set the ballistic cam, and then shoot.

I have used Night Force Scopes, and they are great scopes... But they do not have a Ballistic Cam.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
or a Leupold.

What Leupold are you looking at? What are you trying to improve? I ask because that's not a bad scope at all that you have now. Optically, Leupold glass won't be better unless you spend a lot more money.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 with the Boone and Crocket reticle. Fine set-up for long range shots and (IMHO) you can't go wrong with Leupold.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote