Find
Notify
Tools

budget spotting scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
I am aware of the vast difference in optics as one goes up in cost. Still I also know that I use a spotting scope about twice a year in the field. I really cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars on a Leupold or better spotting scope with my family obligations.

That said, I still have a need for a spotting scope and wonder what the collective advice would be for a budget priced model. I notice the Bass Pro Redhead 18x36 is on sale for less than $110 for instance. What think ye?

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
The best one I've used for the price is boush and lomb discover for around $200. I've used some other ones and thats the one I had for years till I bought a swaro only because my needs changed.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add in the last post that I had a tasco one time and could not see 30 cal. holes at 100yds. Total piece of sh$t. Remember buy the best you can afford and buy it once.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you take a serious look at the Vortex Impact 70. For the money I do not think that you will find anything better, http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vorteximpact

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3697 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Where is the Vortex made?

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris Landmark 20X

For the money this 20x fixed Burris isn't bad at all. You can find it on sale for around $50 if you shop and wait a bit. There's also a package with a tripod. The eye relief isn't great, but it's a very good scope for the money.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Doug,

Where is the Vortex made?

Thanks,

It's made in China

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3697 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's made in China

There is a lot of good reports coming out for the Vortex.

There are some good lenses coming out of China. THey don't have the eviromental restrictions as do some countries. One reason not many good lenses made in the USA any more.

befus, don't do like I have done, I started with a redfield, then a Burris, then a Nikon, and now I am looking at Brunton and Zeiss. If I had just bought the Zeiss to begin with, it would have been paid for. I have a fetish for optics! LOL!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
@gr8ful doug: is the Vortex impact the same as the Burris XTR? They look identical.

Now back more on topic. I have a Leupold Sequoia that is ok in my opinion. It isn't great but not bad either. I have looked through the Vortex Impact at a Gun shop in Billings a while back and I was impressed. In my opinion it was better than my own Leupold.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if they come off the same line when manufactured, anything is possible, however, the Vortex VIP warranty is next to impossible to beat.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're talking cheap here, but the Barska 18-36 Blackhawk is good enough to see 30 cal holes at 300 yds, it is marketed as waterproof and so far has been, for the money I am more than satisfied. A buddies Burris compact 20x is not as clear at the same distance, one of those promotion ones that come with a B-plex 3x9 sciope.

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
Does this Vortex scope come with a tripod?

IF not, what would you reccomend? Something that has coarse aiming adjustments in the tripod.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It comes with a decent tabletop tripod

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Befus

I am in the same boat. I have been looking at Celestron.
http://www.celestron.com/c2/category.php?CatID=30

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Konus chicom scope---high power shooters seem to like them.
Very impressive for the $$$

One fellow compared the 100mm favorably to the Kowa 82 mm ED!!

www.jarheadtop.com

Brooks

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dick broussard:
Befus

I am in the same boat. I have been looking at Celestron.
http://www.celestron.com/c2/category.php?CatID=30

I appreciate all the replies.

Dick-I did notice that one of the testimonials at the site listed below yours (www.jarheadtop.com) did like the Konus better than the Celestron. I am still leaning towards the Vortex as it is less expensive to the tune of 100 bucks and I have one located for $139+.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out a field report on the Vortex here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6425&PN=1

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote